+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stadium Sponsorship

Stadium Sponsorship

In June June 2021, Crewe agreed a £500,000 naming rights deal with Mornflake; its Gresty Road ground will be called the "Mornflake Stadium" until 2023–24.

The club are missing a potentially lucrative opportunity in the area regarding our very own stadium.

Any ideas why this is the case going forward as I thought the Hammam issue was resolved.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

Re: Stadium Sponsorship

Not sure but I think the Sam issue related to naming rights is unresolved yet.

I just think Tan would rather have Berjaya adverts around the stadium, than sell large areas of space to another company.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    In June June 2021, Crewe agreed a £500,000 naming rights deal with Mornflake; its Gresty Road ground will be called the "Mornflake Stadium" until 2023–24.

The club are missing a potentially lucrative opportunity in the area regarding our very own stadium.

Any ideas why this is the case going forward as I thought the Hammam issue was resolved.
    Isn't it resolved in that the club are just refusing to sell the rights as any money just goes to Sam?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Isn't it resolved in that the club are just refusing to sell the rights as any money just goes to Sam?
    I don't think Sam has anything to do with it any more,it's just up to Tan if he feels like selling the rights.

International

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I don't think Sam has anything to do with it any more,it's just up to Tan if he feels like selling the rights.
    He might be keeping them available for the new owners when he sells the club, stadium sponsorship should be worth a few quid especially as it's the home of the Welsh team too.

Have the Trust ever asked the question ?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    He might be keeping them available for the new owners when he sells the club, stadium sponsorship should be worth a few quid especially as it's the home of the Welsh team too.
    Just seems odd to me as the club could be receiving £500k per annum through sponsorship

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Have the Trust ever asked the question ?
    Yes, on several occasions and the answer has always been that a sufficiently lucrative offer has never been received.

We will continue to ask though

Keith

International

Just seems odd to me as the club could be receiving £500k per annum through sponsorship
    Agreed it's a lot of money that could come in handy

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Not sure it being home to the national team would carry much weight, as any sponsor's name couldn't be used for Wales games.

When driving past over the weekend, I noticed that there seem to be more large adverts on the outside of the stadium building. Okay, they may have been there a while, and I've simply not seen them, but I guess they all bring in money.
    On the naming side of things, I'm not that keen on the place being named after some local car dealer, building society, or whatever. I wasn't that keen on Cardiff City Stadium to start with, but I'm getting used to it now, and at least it says what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninian1962 View Post
    Yes, on several occasions and the answer has always been that a sufficiently lucrative offer has never been received.

Keith
    Great thanks.

Keith
    How does it work is it a one off payment or is it like say shirt sponsorship and they pay a certain amount for a certain period of time - if it is the latter do they have a threshold as to what is lucrative as surely it is in effect free money if it expires after a certain time and gets replaced by another sponsor??

Appreciate this might be a really dull question so apologies in advance 👍

Keith
    Sufficiently lucrative doesn’t mean there’s not an interest with Langstone though is there?

Could it trigger something or % goes to them/Sam?

Does the club get the "proper" amount of money for all those Berjaya and "visit xyz" ads? Or is Vinnie getting free / cheap advertising?

Calling it the sam hammam stadium would be a happy compromise to please everyone I feel.

I am surprised it isn't sponsored but I am also glad. It's tacky.

The CCS was something of a holding name, but I think its stuck now which devalues the sponsorship somewhat.

I wouldn't mind "the Barclays Cardiff City Stadium" for example but "Barclays stadium is tacky.

Buildings should have names, especially as it's one of the most important stadiums in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I am surprised it isn't sponsored but I am also glad. It's tacky.

The CCS was something of a holding name, but I think its stuck now which devalues the sponsorship somewhat.

I wouldn't mind "the Barclays Cardiff City Stadium" for example but "Barclays stadium is tacky.

Buildings should have names, especially as it's one of the most important stadiums in the city.
    Yeah it's all.about that early branding.

Swansea will always play at the liberty stadium.

Millennium stadium is Millennium stadium.

Arsenal the Emirates

Stoke play at the britannia stadium.

I used to know every single ground by name easily now on final score when Jason says there's been a goal at the ........... stadium I've never got a clue what's coming next.

The Cardiff City Stadium brand is quite strong to be fair so yeah that part would have to stay but they could insert a sponsors name in there (which would be largely ignored)

Quote Originally Posted by Father Dougal View Post
    Yeah it's all.about that early branding.

Swansea will always play at the liberty stadium.

Arsenal the Emirates

Stoke play at the britannia stadium.

I used to know every single ground by name easily now on final score when Jason says there's been a goal at the ........... stadium I've never got a clue what's coming next.

The Cardiff City Stadium brand is quite strong to be fair so yeah that part would have to stay but they could insert a sponsors name in there (which would be largely ignored)

Huddersfield was known as Alfred McAlpine Stadium up until 2004, the Galpharm Stadium up until 2012, and now the John Smith's Stadium.

It’s a good income stream for many clubs.

Huddersfield was known as Alfred McAlpine Stadium up until 2004, the Galpharm Stadium up until 2012, and now the John Smith's Stadium.

It’s a good income stream for many clubs.
    Aye, in keeping with their fortunes, they eventually ended up on the piss.

Is that £500k per season or for the length of the contract? If it is for the length of the contract (3 years) then that is £166k per season. It is still an income stream but not really a game changer considering our £24m turnover.

Isn’t this the “Principality Stadium” ?

Quote Originally Posted by NinianKnight View Post
    Is that £500k per season or for the length of the contract? If it is for the length of the contract (3 years) then that is £166k per season. It is still an income stream but not really a game changer considering our £24m turnover.
    This article is about 5 years old and it appears fairly lucrative. You would think £500k per season is reasonably priced for a championship club.

http://stadiumdb.com/news/2018/02/en...g_rights_worth

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Isn’t this the “Principality Stadium” ?
    In principle, yes.