+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Attendance as a Percentage of Capacity

Re: Attendance as a Percentage of Capacity

Let’s be honest the average attendance this season on 21,506 isn’t bad at all. If we were in the Premier League we would sell out most games just like every other championship club, so the stadium is a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    Let’s be honest the average attendance this season on 21,506 isn’t bad at all. If we were in the Premier League we would sell out most games just like every other championship club, so the stadium is a perfect fit.
    If the figures I was looking at earlier are correct, City were 14th in the Championship average attendance rankings this season.

I'd love to know how many people actually attended each game, though. The physical attendance for a good percentage of matches looked way below the official attendance figures. Same for a number of other Championship clubs I'm sure, but the differences this season looked significant at the CCS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    If the figures I was looking at earlier are correct, City were 14th in the Championship average attendance rankings this season.

I'd love to know how many people actually attended each game, though. The physical attendance for a good percentage of matches looked way below the official attendance figures. Same for a number of other Championship clubs I'm sure, but the differences this season looked significant at the CCS.
    I’m sure the fact that a significant portion of our support ( from Neath , through to the Gwent valleys and beyond) reside in areas where there are no trains or buses back to where they live for night games and on Saturday matches, the rail/ bus network is almost certainly worse than it would be for a significant number of championship clubs.

Man who doesn't go to Cardiff City games complains about the empty seats at Cardiff City games.

This isn't the first time I have heard you make this spurious claim

It is of course complete nonsense

How many times have you jumped ship ?

You are like a jack in the box you soppy tart

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    My point is most of the time the place doesn't look very good
    Speak for yourself sonny.

Just baffles me that some fans want to focus on reducing capacity rather than increasing attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Speak for yourself sonny.
    19 k in a 32 seater stadium looks good ?

It looks crap and it doesn't help the players or the atmosphere either

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Just baffles me that some fans want to focus on reducing capacity rather than increasing attendance.
    We will increase crowds by winning games

Some people want to play like Brazil every week but that's easier said than done

In hindsight a 25,000 capacity stadium would suit us better. Some games, some seasons might be a bit on the small side but with gate receipts being less and less significant financially, better to be 'sold out' a few times, than continually under -used

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    In hindsight a 25,000 capacity stadium would suit us better. Some games, some seasons might be a bit on the small side but with gate receipts being less and less significant financially, better to be 'sold out' a few times, than continually under -used
    I think that would have been spot on

To see that table and see us right at the bottom in terms of using the capacity available to us is a bit of a reality check

Some attendances this season:

28,648 v Swansea
    25,991 v Leeds
    25,803 v Bristol

Bear in mind those crowds came during a mid-table Championship season. Also bear in mind the areas of no-man’s land that are necessary for segregation whenever the visiting sides bring decent numbers.

Don’t fall into the trap of agreeing with the resident fraud. You’ll end up looking daft.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    I remember the night City beat Spurs in their double season 61/62 there was almost a full house, next home game against Villa there were 12,000, almost 40k difference. Got to say it though the Spurs game was without doubt the best atmosphere I’ve ever known at a City game.
    60/61season. I was there too. March 11.

Some attendances this season:

28,648 v Swansea
    25,991 v Leeds
    25,803 v Bristol

Bear in mind those crowds came during a mid-table Championship season. Also bear in mind the areas of no-man’s land that are necessary for segregation whenever the visiting sides bring decent numbers.

Don’t fall into the trap of agreeing with the resident fraud. You’ll end up looking daft.
    It's interesting this

Because for years and years you were the foremost proponent of Cardiff City punching very much above their weight when it comes to attendances

Now listen to you

It's an almost lazarus like conversion

The atmosphere depends on the football. If the team stifles the atmosphere by defending all first half it’s going to fall flat. There is virtually nothing to get the crowd going. It seems deliberate as well with makes me furious.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    The atmosphere depends on the football. If the team stifles the atmosphere by defending all first half it’s going to fall flat. There is virtually nothing to get the crowd going. It seems deliberate as well with makes me furious.
    Well it's an agreement that the football could improve

Some of the best atmospheres in recent years were under warnock

We attacked and scored goals in those days.

We had smaller crowds in our Promotion season under Warnock than this season.

That would suggest it’s not the attendance or the stadium size that are the issue with poor atmospheres this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Canton Kev View Post
    We had smaller crowds in our Promotion season under Warnock than this season.

That would suggest it’s not the attendance or the stadium size that are the issue with poor atmospheres this season.
    You’re right on this point. From memory it was only the last 5 home games that made our average attendance respectable.

You’re right on this point. From memory it was only the last 5 home games that made our average attendance respectable.
    Prob just seemed better as there actually was 20,000 happy fans watching exciting football as opposed to 14/15,000 half asleep

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Prob just seemed better as there actually was 20,000 happy fans watching exciting football as opposed to 14/15,000 half asleep
    Everyone loves a successful team, regardless of style , if I recall people were moaning about the lack of possession.

Just looking back there were plenty of games that were barely over 16,000. Against Ipswich it was as low as 15,900.

60/61. 45,463. Took City to 6th in 1st Division after 32 games ! Next game H v Blackpool, 19,754. City lost next 5 games, on the beach probably. [Butlins Minehead..]
    Probably Buluts fault

If my aunty had bollocks she would be my uncle

We have been in the top flight 2 x since 1962
    And on both occasions sold out the home sections for every game, averaging over 30000 in the process. Indicating that, if the club is to have any ambitions, the ground isn't too big for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    That's not just with us. Football has changed a lot in even just 20 years. 10k at Ninian Park would easily outsing and outchant today's crowds. That's not to say they were better crowds, just different.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    That's not just with us. Football has changed a lot in even just 20 years. 10k at Ninian Park would easily outsing and outchant today's crowds. That's not to say they were better crowds, just different.
    It was also easier to congregate together under a roof which contained and amplified the sound. The acoustics and seating arrangements of the new ground make it harder for the noisiest elements to be together and make a noise.