+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Youth leagues vs Cardiff City B

Youth leagues vs Cardiff City B

Is there an advantage to having a U18 league over having a second team playing in the Welsh league system?

Would that even be allowable?

Re: Youth leagues vs Cardiff City B

I imagine any B team that we set up would end up filled with cast offs in their mid 20s from the first team rather than youngsters

I think also Premier League clubs need to have an academy so if we have ambitions of getting and staying there we'd need an u18 side

Really what we ought to be doing (and have done in the past) is utilising the south Walian Cymru Premier clubs and sending young players on loan to them

We had a youth team in the Welsh League Cup this season

The old way was a youth team, then reserves, then first team I know because I played in the youth team and reserves. So, if you were doing well at youth level you'd go into the reserves, South West Combination league or whatever it was called. At 16-17 you would be up against men, seasoned professional players who had either been dropped or were coming back from injury. There would be trialists as well, usually from better clubs (That was most clubs) who had been released

It was hard, really hard, playing against men who had 300 games under their belt, although usually at a lower level. You learnt quickly or got ****ed off. It was that simple.God knows what this has to do with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Is there an advantage to having a U18 league over having a second team playing in the Welsh league system?

Would that even be allowable?
    Im sure we floated the idea of putting a B team in the Welsh Leagues back in Sam Hammams day but the FAW turned us down. Im damned if i can find any reference to it online though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    Im sure we floated the idea of putting a B team in the Welsh Leagues back in Sam Hammams day but the FAW turned us down. Im damned if i can find any reference to it online though.
    Yeah was a backdoor to European football though. Trying to co register players with FAW and FA so if we got to the champions league could play the first team. Wasn't allowed for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Ultra View Post
    If the FAW allowed reserve/ youth teams into the Cymru Premier, the League's qualification for European competitions would be removed by UEFA so it will never happen.