+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Malone for Jazz - straight swap?

Malone for Jazz - straight swap?

Good Luck to Scott Malone on leaving City. Can't say I rated him and I certainly never understood how he was an automatic choice under Slade.

Nevertheless he did cost City £100,000 and seems to have improved his reputation while here and is a renowned Champinship player. So how come we are happy apparently just to have a straight swap for Jazz Richards who has, at best, been a bench warmer? As a Slade signing, he can't be on massive money so it's not to help slash budget like Pilkington or Gunnar etc would be.

Welcome to Jazz.

Re: Malone for Jazz - straight swap?

Got to say Nigel that Jazz is is much better defender than Malone, attacking wise he puts in much better crosses than Malone, Trollope has been with him out in France, and I think he knows more about him than most, welcome Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Got to say Nigel that Jazz is is much better defender than Malone, attacking wise he puts in much better crosses than Malone, Trollope has been with him out in France, and I think he knows more about him than most, welcome Jazz
    ^^^This. I would be happy with a swap.
    Spedger

At first glance, there would appear to be two Jazz Richards'. The first one is the international who I'd say has never let Wales down when he played for them - in fact I thought he was very good in the win against Belgium last year and it was a lovely cross he put in for Bale's goal in Cyprus. Then, you have the Jazz Richards about whom Fulham fans cannot say a good word - they really will be glad to see him go based on what I've read.

Fulham were awful at the back in the season they got relegated and have hardly been much better in their two years in the Championship, so it's not much of a recommendation that Richards couldn't hold down a regular place in their side last season. However, a closer look at things shows that their defensive record with Richards in the side was much better than it was when he didn't play - they conceded thirty eight in the twenty six matches he featured in and forty five in the twenty four when he wasn't involved. Furthermore, Richards was only involved in one of the five matches in which Fulham lost by three or more goals and that was a meaningless end of season affair at Brentford.

Richards and his new team were doing alright under Kit Symons' management up until he got injured at the end of October, but while he was out, they conceded eight in two matches which led to the man who signed him being sacked. Richards was back in the side in December, but Fulham would never win again for the rest of the season when he played - there were plenty of draws and they weren't getting thrashed when he played, but the new manager Slavisa Jokanovic dropped him in early March and he only featured once after that.

So, I think there is some evidence to say that he wasn't as bad for Fulham as many of their fans think he was, but, on the other hand, there's not much in his club form to indicate that he would be an improvement on Lee Peltier who, for all of his limitations going forward, was a very solid defender for us last season.

As for the swap deal with Scott Malone and how the players are valued, it should be noted that, based on the reported fees in both cases, we paid less than a third of what Fulham paid the jacks for Richards only a year ago for Malone. So, even if you accept that Malone's value has increased during his time with us (not sure at all about that myself) and Richards' has declined, I'd still say we're getting the better of the deal if we get to see the Wales version of Jazz Richards in a City shirt - it's also worth remembering that he appears to have played his best football at Fulham when he had a manager who he knew through his time with the Welsh squad.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 14-07-16 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Each to their own but I couldn't disagree more. Never rated jazz. He was part of a truly awful Fulham defence last season which almost got them relegated despite being one of the highest scorers. He's never managed to really hold down a first team place throughout his career and has never been able to oust Gunter from his position for Wales, and Gunter is average at this level.
    If he wasn't welsh nobody would be pleased with this move. It is a downgrade as far as im concerned.

I hope you're right but for all his faults, and there are many with Malone, crossing isn't one in my view. I'd argue Malone, on his game, was the best crosser of the ball City had last season. Mind you, competition for that was sparse.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelBlues View Post
    I hope you're right but for all his faults, and there are many with Malone, crossing isn't one in my view. I'd argue Malone, on his game, was the best crosser of the ball City had last season. Mind you, competition for that was sparse.
    I must've been watching someone else

Still no confirmation of this.

Fulham meanwhile signed two other defenders today.

malone cost £100k so owes us nothing ...... So bigging up his apperent straight swap replacement is daft

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Still no confirmation of this.

Fulham meanwhile signed two other defenders today.
    I hope the Fulham hierarchy haven't been reading this board.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelBlues View Post
    Better than Whiitingham?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    At first glance, there would appear to be two Jazz Richards'. The first one is the international who I'd say has never let Wales down when he played for them - in fact I thought he was very good in the win against Belgium last year and it was a lovely cross he put in for Bale's goal in Cyprus. Then, you have the Jazz Richards about whom Fulham fans cannot say a good word - they really will be glad to see him go based on what I've read.

Fulham were awful at the back in the season they got relegated and have hardly been much better in their two years in the Championship, so it's not much of a recommendation that Richards couldn't hold down a regular place in their side last season. However, a closer look at things shows that their defensive record with Richards in the side was much better than it was when he didn't play - they conceded thirty eight in the twenty six matches he featured in and forty five in the twenty four when he wasn't involved. Furthermore, Richards was only involved in one of the five matches in which Fulham lost by three or more goals and that was a meaningless end of season affair at Brentford.

Richards and his new team were doing alright under Kit Symons' management up until he got injured at the end of October, but while he was out, they conceded eight in two matches which led to the man who signed him being sacked. Richards was back in the side in December, but Fulham would never win again for the rest of the season when he played - there were plenty of draws and they weren't getting thrashed when he played, but the new manager Slavisa Jokanovic dropped him in early March and he only featured once after that.

So, I think there is some evidence to say that he wasn't as bad for Fulham as many of their fans think he was, but, on the other hand, there's not much in his club form to indicate that he would be an improvement on Lee Peltier who, for all of his limitations going forward, was a very solid defender for us last season.

As for the swap deal with Scott Malone and how the players are valued, it should be noted that, based on the reported fees in both cases, we paid less than a third of what Fulham paid the jacks for Richards only a year ago for Malone. So, even if you accept that Malone's value has increased during his time with us (not sure at all about that myself) and Richards' has declined, I'd still say we're getting the better of the deal if we get to see the Wales version of Jazz Richards in a City shirt - it's also worth remembering that he appears to have played his best football at Fulham when he had a manager who he knew through his time with the Welsh squad.

A good post bob!

Having looked on the Fulham forums, it's a bit worrying that hardly any of them have a good word to say about Richards. I know that fans can sometimes turn on a player who leaves them (especially after those fan have endured a difficult season) and often it's no more than sour grapes, however, almost to a man, they don't rate him at all and are glad to see the back of him.