Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:24
One interesting thing about the housing market is that house building is usually higher in areas where there are generally more people renting. It's important to note that in terms of affordability just building homes is the best thing that you can do.
Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:07
No question that just building homes is the answer - but it isn't going to happen in the short/medium term.
Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 15:06
In the meantime the buy-to-let market is benefiting from some serious advantages over the buy-to-occupy market. Interest free mortgages, offsetting mortgage interest against tax for example - available to the landlord, but not the owner occupier. This inevitably skews the market and pushes both rental and purchase prices skyward.
Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 14:21
Perhaps it is time to recognise that the property-owning democracy dream is fading, and to address the lack of protection/tenancy rights currently afforded to tenants in the UK. Germany is usually mentioned at this point ....
Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 14:16
Reduces rents surely? I don't think there are any interest free mortgages available are there?
Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 14:06
I agree thought that tenancy rights are an issue, I actually think a healthy rental market is really beneficial to both the economy and people's ability to live in a home that best suits their needs.
Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 13:53
OOps! I meant interest only
Quote Originally Posted by Ray Mears wrote on Sun, 04 January 2015 12:32
I'm not sure why you think rents would be reduced? The competition to buy from a shortage of housing stock is still very much present, but is just skewed heavily in favour of landlords. Have I missed something?
I rented when I was younger, it was no issue