I was in my 40's before I'd try an oyster. When I did, I realised that I was a twat who'd missed out on 40 years of what is possibly the most delicious titbit on the planet.

Blue cheese. My Dad raved about it and implored me to just try a little bit, but the smell put me off. In France, some old French geezer made me try a bit of Rocquefort with a mouthful of red wine. It was LUSH. I am now a devotee.

Spirits. In my youth I used to drown spirits with coke or lemonade. Later in life, I drank Southern Comfort neat 'cos I had no lemonade. It was gorgeous. I tried brandy - ditto. Whisky and whiskey - ditto.

Brussels sprouts and cabbage. Every Christmas day - "I don't want any sprouts or cabbage, Mum!" "Well you're having some!" Later in life I realised that cabbage is actually quite nice, even raw, and that a halved sprout cooked in butter and slightly burnt on a sandwich toaster is one of life's little pleasures.

English mustard. As a kid, why the hell would anybody put that into their mouth ? But now, on ham or beef, it's a wonderful accompaniment (what a great word )

And beer. I used to sneak a sip on special occasions, but it was always bleedin' awful. As it was in the seventies, I was probably a good judge. Most beer then was piss. Anyway, I persevered and, gradually, I managed to acquire an appreciation for the taste of beer. Thank God.

ps Yes, beer is a food, fagot.