Deke Leonard has died, I saw him play many times with MAN and Iceberg, a great guy, always had time for people. Another favourite of my youth has gone.
R.I.P. Deke

DEKE Leonard, author, raconteur, and guitarist of legendary Welsh band Man, has died at the age of 72.

The Llanelli-born musician, who had recently returned to live in the town with long-time partner Mary, made his name with the South Wales rock band who performed a mixture of West Coast psychedelia, progressive rock, and blues, and were renowned for their extend jams during live performances.

But he also formed his own critically-acclaimed band, Iceberg, of which John Lennon was reportedly a fan.

In recent years, Son of Man, featuring some of the group's original members and their offspring, had continued the tradition, most recently in The Garage in Uplands last December, in which Deke joined them on stage.

George Jones, son of fellow Man guitarist Micky Jones who died in 2010, regularly played alongside Deke in Son of Man.

He said: "He played his last gigs with Son of Man, and he was playing great, and singing great, and feeling positive.

"He was saying he wanted to do something this year with Iceberg, and had been working on material.

"I feel like I have lost a parent. Deke was one of life's gents".