+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Football Rules you'd like to see changed or better implemented

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Football Rules you'd like to see changed or better implemented

With the introduction of a video ref next year in cup competitions I was discussing with some friends other football rules that we would like to see changed. Here were a few reasonable ones that we came up with before alcohol made the suggestions quite outrageous.

1) defenders backing in to an opponent disguised as shielding the ball out for a goal kick - surely this has to change, sometimes players start 'shielding' the ball and the ball is nowhere near any player... any other part of the pitch and it's a free kick, surely an attacker has the right to attempt to get to the ball without a defender backing in and shielding some 10 yards away from the ball

2) Swearing at and surrounding the ref.. how do players still get away with it? Rooney and so many other high profile players are often seen in shouting at the ref 'F**k off' right in his face... surely automatic yellows for swearing at the ref should be implemented. I hate the egg but only the captain can speak to the ref and the rest of the players must back off... that would be great in football

3) Sin bin - related to the above - I was not a fan of this but one or two said that a sin bin idea would be much better than two yellows for innocuous incidents. Maybe it would be a way of getting rid of unnecessary behaviour and OTT red cards. I personally can't see how the ref could manage it though.

4) GBH in the box - remember Skertal when we played them at Anfield? Crazy. We would have had two penalties if the ref had any balls. Glad that it has reduced somewhat but still see attackers wrestled to the floor

5) Diving - understanding that the ref has a tough job and often can't tell in real-time if enough contact was made for the fall I think that retrospective punishment for diving should be implemented... Dele Allis dive against the jacks was outrageous and a three match suspension would soon stop players diving.

Any others?
    Last edited by AfricanBluebird; 06-03-17 at 06:17.