This raises so many questions. Listening to the various phone-ins on the way home yesterday, it seems like many think that signing a c/f in January (Crouch seems to be the latest favoured name) is our only way to avoiding the drop.

Firstly if the owner / manager / club didn't deem it necessary to sign a forward in the summer, why part with the money now? From a business perspective it probably takes more justification now than then, especially if were further adrift in 2 months time.

Secondly, a c/f is only as good as the service he gets and I can't see where that's going to improve. There are few forwards who can create & finish and those that can are like rarities & on mega bucks.

Thirdly and most importantly, where is this saviour coming from. The biggest criticism levelled at us is that we only by Championship players and have no Premiership experience. Any Premiership striker is already in their clubs 25 and not available. A Championship striker is more of the same and no-one currently stands out. Our ability to scout outside of the Football League appears limited and could we attract anyone of the right quality & commitment.

I hope I'm totally wrong and that we can magic up and are prepared to pay for our saviour but I won't hold my breath.

For what it's worth I think we need two centre forwards, if we buy/loan the key man & he gets injured early on we'll be back in the same situation.

Charlie Austin & Jay Rodriguez anyone?