Ajayi is an interesting one - don't blame NW for not putting the faith in him at the time. We had a trusted 3 and even the most forward-thinking of gaff's probably couldn't have stomached the naive mistakes that come with being a young CB learning on the job, let alone our Neil. I however would've tried keeping him on the books for what would've been peanuts in the grand scheme.

Ajayi has shown glimpses this season & last that he falls into that new breed of ball-playing, risk taking centre halves - the sort that threatens to make our beloved Darren Purse types rapidly extinct. Most dominant Championship sides of the past couple years (Norwich, Sheff Utd, Fulham, arguably Wolves) have used a ball-playing centre half in an attempt to boss proceedings & it would not to surprise me to see Ajayi playing Prem football in a couple of years as more clubs try Barca it.

However, I for one am sceptical as to whether the Ajayi of today would even make Neil's top 2 when you consider the way we're setting up. Two no-nonsenser's seems the shout & at the tender age of 25 little Semi would still be one for the future. Excuse the tangent - I know it began a matter of 'shrewd'.

As for getting the best out of the boys - can't think of another man on Earth who would've got more from them - saying that, can't think of another manager who would've assembled this group. The most Warnock side. Much like Loramski said above - the man who inherits the squad will find it hard to do much different from Neil & I expect it to be a matter of rebuilding and PAITIENCE.

Utmost respect for inheriting that shitshow in '16, installing a quick-fix & the beautiful shithousery that was the 17/18 season. As much as I disagree with his transfers/philosophy, you cannot doubt his man-management and nous at this level. However, it makes me sad to see something like 'getting the best out of' - the fact is that with our resources, we should be dominanating most sides. Call me 'half-empty' but we have had tens of millions at our disposal these last few windows & continue with this shrewd, underdog mindset (of which Warnock is undoubtedly master) - but was it necessary this season? We had the pick of the championship and ended up with Oxford boys. IMO we consistently underspend. 40odd% possession vs Wigan spoke volumes about what was to come.

I would never call for wily old Neil's head & am not quick to forget staring down the barrel in October '16, nor will I forget Cambridge '99. Yet I cannot help but feel this season, much like last, will be an opportunity missed. We will be there or there-abouts, but how one-dimensional we are will probably cost us. We should be more than to have to resort to phrases like 'getting the best out of'. As a club we are capable of more that that sh*te.

As previous have stated, I am reaching a point where I'd rather a complete overhaul in an attempt to achieve one of these mystical long-term visions you hear about. Our lack of playing identity & foundation have cost us in years gone by & I could deal with a few seasons on the wayside if it meant we more equipped next time we get to the plastic promised land. We look a decent outfit & enjoying do-ing Boro, but think it time we gamble on some new blood next summer.

(Excuse the bloody essay, 'twas a grave mistake sticking me on the night shift !)

CMON CITAY