Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Hughes has been a Championship player for quite a bit of that time and I see you ignore my point about the money we would have saved. The line of argument from those defending the club's abysmal record in this part of the game seems to have developed into almost congratulating them for not taking a punt on youth because our Academy players are not good enough, yet all of these players were considered worth taking a punt on at one time. If it is correct that we've not had good enough youngsters, what does that say about City's recruitment? Were either hopeless at spotting young talent, hopeless at developing young talent or, most likely, a mixture of the two.
Hughes has played two seasons in the Championship and Lockyer has played one for a club that got relegated. They were both playing in League Two when we were in the Premier League in 2013/14, but you think that we should have kept them here on the off chance that they would be good enough for us one day?

Nobody is claiming that we have done a good job of developing young players over the last decade, but I think that you significantly underestimate how good a young player has to be to succeed at Championship level or above. You talked up Cameron Coxe for a long time based on his performances in age-group football and now he's playing for Solihull Moors.