Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
There were hooligans who liked a fight against anybody who was interested (organised or otherwise), there were racists in the crowd who shouted vile abuse at black players all the time in front of everyone and there were racist hooligans who had fights with black people. I was there and witnessed it. Anyone who denies it happened is just plain wrong. Anyone who thinks that all that had no influence on ethnic minority people attending games is deluded.
You were around before me, the late 80's / early 90's was my time

I went to home and away games with a " Welsh Asian " for many seasons and i must admit, I never witnessed racism directed at him ( infact racism in general, thats not to say it didnt happen though, before the usual " If blue matt didnt see it, then it couldnt have happened " ) pretty sure he never did either, we would have dealt with it

I witnessed plenty of headcases, but they didnt care who they had a fight with, it didnt matter on the colour of your skin to them, a fight is a fight

Talking of my Asian mate, the only place we experienced racism was on our 93 euro jaunt, for the standard liege game, his cousin would occasionally come to home games with us, them started to go down with his own mates ( all Asian ), they felt welcome and as far as i know didnt suffer racist abuse, they spent a few years going to various home games, they appeared to stop when they discovered girls