Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
I just find it hilarious that “it’s coming home”, like they’ve already won it.
I live in England, my wife’s English and my boys were born here, but I just can’t bear the presumptive narrative of it all.
It’s not just the media - a load of England supporting Dads didn’t like saying that the penalty was dodge and that Harry Kane did not deserve a penalty when he went down. They answer by saying that Denmark shouldn’t have got a free kick. One of them even posted a meme of the UK with “it’s coming home” on the England bit and “Bitter and Sh1t” for the rest of us. Let’s see how well that ages.
To my mind, the difference was in the substitutions. The Danes made theirs too early and as a result were leggy by extra time.
I supported England in the distant past (Euro 96, in particular), but no way now.
Agree with everything except your paragraph about supporting England. When West Germany equalised in the last few seconds of the 1966 final, I must have been the happiest 12 year old in the land. Sadly my joy didn't last.

No doubt influenced by my dad, I've always had disdain for English international football teams but even so I really liked the team of 1970, in my view the best England team I have seen.....until now.

My one wish is that Spain had a great finisher because England would have been chasing shadows on Sunday, just like Italy were for most of the semi final. Alas, I believe England now have a decent chance of becoming European champions for the first time. Fingers crossed it doesn't come home.