Drove to the National Archives at Kew today as I wanted to copy hundreds of 1921 census entries for clients, my own family and the village for which I research local history. At £3.15 a household, it was far cheaper to drive to London than sit at home downloading the entries.

I drive a Honda Jazz which has a fuel tank with a capacity of 40 litres. I normally drive at a steady 70 mph on motorways, but with the present steep escalation of fuel prices, I decided to drive there and back at 55 - 60 mph. The round trip of 305 miles (the M4 was closed eastbound near London) used 33 litres of petrol. It took two hours 50 coming home and apart from overtaking two lorries I was in the left lane the whole way. I should also add that I filled the tank when the price was £1.33 a litre.

The pros of driving more slowly: I estimate I saved about £10 by using less fuel. I arrived there and back far, far more relaxed than when driving at 70 mph - there was hardly any overtaking/changing lanes. I was also able to enjoy a beautiful sunset and the drifts of daffs just before Cardiff Gate - and some great music (Atlanta Rhythm Section and Robben Ford.)

The cons - took maybe 30 minutes longer each way.

For me, this is the shape of things to come - the 'New Driving'.

I'm also going to try that trick of turning the engine off when stuck in traffic for whatever reason.