Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
It's a good question. Both, but victims more. The main problem is that people have infiltrated this system to exploit it.

But if I just go to America and stay there and don't get my flight home, I wouldn't view myself as a criminal per se..but it doesn't mean I can just do it.

There are tough moral calls to be made here, no one denies that. But the country cannot take anyone who wants to come here and we cant have a system effectively run by people traffickers especially when it is a safe country they are coming from.
But by that reckoning you wouldnt take anybody, we are an island with 30+ safe countries one side of us and 2000 miles of sea the other. We processed far less applications than there were illegal crossings last year. Are you seriously suggesting a core principle of this new policy will be to take more refugees 'from source', will we heck.

If they are victims of trafficking and, in the majority of cases, a genuine claimant then why would you punish them twice by not properly judging their case and then flying them to rwanda against their will. This isn't 'going after people traffickers' this is going after victims. Easy option /= best option.

Why are so many people with such strong cases crossing illegally? Often because the legal process is shite and slow.