Quote Originally Posted by Claude Blue View Post
I'm pleased that you now think there should be a windfall tax and that your 65% figure was bollocks.

The way around clever accountants is for the government to enact effective, watertight policy. Having a PM who was previously an economist for shell should help. Poacher turned gamekeeper if you like.
I didn't say we should have a windfall tax either. I said neither as you well know although I see you seem to have dodged the question when I asked when did I say there shouldn't be a windfall tax. The reality is that there is no such thing as a watertight tax policy as the clever accountants (as you describe them) will always find a way to avoid paying tax.As global companies, if they don't like one countries rules they will move their tax base elsewhere. Of course if anyone can convince me that a second windfall tax will come anywhere near funding the energy crisis then I'm in. But you know, as well as I do, that such a tax is unlikely to be the panacea His Majesty's opposition claim it to be.