Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
I would agree with that. He did have his flaws and concentration problems, but i do think that there is a player in there somewhere. NYC Blue made a good point recently. something along the lines of his head isn't quite right. There seems to be a theme with some modern day footballers who rely on technical ability, in terms that if they start badly, they don't seem to recover, things get progressively worse. I don't know if that's down to how they are expected to play. 20 years ago, a player like ojo etc could back out of taking risks and playing with their back to goal by turning themselves around and just doing the basics, in short, just doing the bear minimum so that they didn't put themselves in positions of failure. That isn't an option in todays game as forward thinking midfielders are expected to get ob the ball.

Ir's a difficult position to be in and one that needs a fast start if things are to flourish, and i do wonder about the intelligence levels of players like ojo, it's like they've been coached so hard that to make personal adjustments is outside of their remit. He's never going to be a world beater, but i do believe that if things are right for him and if he can use some intelligence on the pitch, then he will make a positive contribution. There's a lack of character out there sometimes, and i do think that the modern young player is coached so hard that some of them just can't take their foot off the coaching manual pedal and play outside what is failing. I hope that he comes good. I'll also add that i believe that young modern coaches need to adjust, or allow players to adjust when things are failing. There seems to be a puerile element in terms of how football should be played now.
Ojo is lacking confidence currently, but the poor first touch which handed Hull possession inside our own half for their first two goals has always been there. He has pace, power and decent ability once he has the ball under control, but he has very little game intelligence and is so frustrating to watch.