Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Podmore’s career record is good, but he’s had serious injury problems in recent years and his signing has to be seen as a risk. I presumed the speed gun or whatever they call it was not working properly because it was only showing around 72mph when he opened the bowling against Gloucestershire, it was the same against Durham this time accompanied by no balls and a run rate against him of about five an over.

McIlroy often doesn’t go for many runs per over, but, to me, he never suggests he’s going to run through a team or even take the odd wicket or two. Going back to 70 mph opening bowlers, Glamorgan’s left armer Malcolm Nash got pretty close to the England team back in the seventies because he was able to bowl an inswinger to right handers which made him devastating when the ball was swinging, Graham Wagg had the same gift to a lesser extent, but I’ve not seen much sign of it from McIlroy, although, to be fair, I’ve not seen a great deal of him.
Didn't realise he'd struggled with injuries, maybe that's behind his reluctance to bust a gut in the field. Could certainly do with him regaining his old form.

Haven't seen a huge amount of McIlroy myself either. Was pretty impressed with him towards the back end of last season mind, did wonder if this would be his breakout season.

Nice to see Neser get himself a wicket.