+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Am I right in thinking that.........................

Am I right in thinking that.........................

only Blyth Spartans have had a smaller crowd than us in the Third Round so far and that was probably because they couldn't fit any more people in their ground.

S****horpe are playing Chesterfield tonight for the right to travel to Derby, so I can see there being less than 4,000 there for that match, but it'll be pretty embarrassing if we end up with the 30th best crowd out of the 32 ties played.

I was watching that programme on Sky on Sunday where they have journalists talking about the stories in that morning's papers and the presenter mentioned there only being 4,000 at Cardiff as proof of the FA Cup's declining attraction a couple of times - if there have been a few comments like that flying about in the media in the last few days, maybe that's had an effect on the top people at the club?

Re: Am I right in thinking that.........................

I don't find it embarrassing Bob. Whatever other reasons there were for the low attendance, one reason was a boycott and a high attendance would have been much more embarrassing.

Burnley had 9000 [including 2500 away fans] for their game against Spurs last night.

Newcastle had 4,500 and were away. 4,500 angry supporters as the club chose to exit the competition asap in order to concentrate on the league.

It would be a great pity if our situation was used to discredit the importance of the FA cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost wrote on Tue, 06 January 2015 17:03
    I don't find it embarrassing Bob. Whatever other reasons there were for the low attendance, one reason was a boycott and a high attendance would have been much more embarrassing.
    You're right, I should have said embarrassing for the club .

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost wrote on Tue, 06 January 2015 17:03
    I had some of the standard personal replies and negative reactions from some others on here but I have no doubt what happened last Friday along with the mass of stay away season ticket holders from the last couple of games was impossible to ignore and has finally spooked the club into a response.

Just to say that S****horpe had 4,307 last night, so I make it that only Blyth Spartans had a lower gate than us in the Third Round. I still think we wouldn't have had too many more if we had been playing in blue, but there would have been a few more with lower crowds than us to not make things so embaraassing for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Wed, 07 January 2015 08:58
    Just to say that S****horpe had 4,307 last night, so I make it that only Blyth Spartans had a lower gate than us in the Third Round. I still think we wouldn't have had too many more if we had been playing in blue, but there would have been a few more with lower crowds than us to not make things so embaraassing for the club.
    And Scunny weren't on the telly either

Chesterfield also took 1,700 supporters to the game.

I actually think the very low attendance against Colchester (and similar against Reading ?) will probably have more impact in the wider media than the proposed boycott against Derby given that the 'official' attendance will still be reported as around 20,000 and the fact that the BBC in particular are hyping the FA Cup to a considerable degree this season.

So we're now really in a position where Tan apologists are reduced to coming up with excuses as to why S****horpe got a bigger crowd than us?

Quote Originally Posted by BINGE THINKING wrote on Wed, 07 January 2015 09:18
    I actually think the very low attendance against Colchester (and similar against Reading ?) will probably have more impact in the wider media than the proposed boycott against Derby given that the 'official' attendance will still be reported as around 20,000 and the fact that the BBC in particular are hyping the FA Cup to a considerable degree this season.
    In saying that, as much as I may have my doubts, it's hard to put up too much of an argument against the gap of just three days between the Colchester cup tie and the announcement of the meeting - the most logical conclusion to arrive at is that it was the cup tie that caused the change of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Tue, 06 January 2015 16:45
    only Blyth Spartans have had a smaller crowd than us in the Third Round so far and that was probably because they couldn't fit any more people in their ground.
    "Very low crowd Mr Tan but it was the FA Cup and to be expected" doesnt sound as damning as "Very low crowd Mr Tan, i think the worm has turned"

The majority of people I know that still go and have a ST are all of the same mind.

Wont be renewing next year NOT only because of the red kit issue but because it is now too expensive to justify watching a crap std of football, the style, tactics, results and general mood around the place is DIRE.

So instead I (and most I know) will just pick the games we want to go to - which will probably mean on average about 1 saturday per month. That may very well mean that we'll be watching a team slip further and further down the league.