+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What's the food like in THE BUSH, in St Hilary

What's the food like in THE BUSH, in St Hilary

Anyone been there. ?

Re: What's the food like in THE BUSH, in St Hilary

My wife and I visited on Bank Holiday Monday evening, having been to The Bush a couple of occasions before; but not recently. The quality of the food was not up to the standard expected, considering prices are higher compared to other local pubs. My main course was Lamb Pie with vegetables, which was OK but not great; however my wife chose the fish pie which was a very poor and tasteless meal. We didn't risk a desert here, so went to our usual pub and had a lovely home made desert and drink there.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT wrote on Thu, 16 April 2015 18:52
    Anyone been there. ?
    Hairy

We were disappointed by the food on this occasion. We have visited once before and the Sunday lunch was superb. Family were visiting from London and we were eager to take them to the pub. One waitress was incredibly rude to my sister in law, as my sister in law ordered something and the waitress said that she didn't! This resulted in her food being late as they made her what she originally wanted- obviously a mix up but there are ways to speak to the customer and she didn't handle it well. Average lunch on this occasion sorry.

Gone downhill recently drive a bit further and go to the Star in Troes.

Thankfully we booked in advance and due to unforseen circumstances the restaurant were able to accommodate our 15 minute late arrival. We appreciated the quaint, homely and friendly service. The menu offering was also sufficiently diverse to suit a range of appetites. Whilst our order was taken within a reasonable time period, disappointingly the main course arrived before the starter!...

Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Thu, 16 April 2015 19:01
    My wife and I visited on Bank Holiday Monday evening, having been to The Bush a couple of occasions before; but not recently. The quality of the food was not up to the standard expected, considering prices are higher compared to other local pubs. My main course was Lamb Pie with vegetables, which was OK but not great; however my wife chose the fish pie which was a very poor and tasteless meal. We didn't risk a desert here, so went to our usual pub and had a lovely home made desert and drink there.
    Well you'd be hard pushed to get a drink in a desert, no wonder you went to your local

Tony, go mate. It's a cracking pub run by two very hard working, passionate people. Andy, the owner is also the head chef who prides himself on the quality of the grub he sources and serves. Portions are big too. I'd say price wise not that much different to other pubs in the Vale and the pub itself is very quaint. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Thu, 16 April 2015 20:53
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Thu, 16 April 2015 19:01
    Well you'd be hard pushed to get a drink in a desert, no wonder you went to your local
    I just posted the last 3 online reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pencoedjack wrote on Thu, 16 April 2015 19:43

Love that pub.

My uncle owned it in the 70's and 80's and I worked there as a glass collector. Great days, always sunny

Had Sunday lunch up there not so long ago and that was top notch. Oh! and Malky walked in.

First Team

Eaten there a few times in the last couple of years.
    Always quite impressed although it was generally on a weekday lunchtime so not that busy.
    Towards the top end of what you would expect to pay for a pub lunch but the food was fresh, well cooked and they were not put out by a couple of off menu requests.
    Gorgeous little village as well.

Like the posters above said, sadly gone downhill of late and overpriced. Paid a tenner for a lunch of rock-hard jacket spud and Glamorgan sausages that were dry and flavourless. Not good at all.

Lovely pub but so many better food options than there at the mo.

Try this place:
    http://www.thehandhotel.co.uk

It is in the Michelin guide.

It's a bit of a trek but I've heard that the chicken there is twice as good as in the Bush

Quote Originally Posted by blue sky wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 12:04
    Try this place:

10 mins away......can't go wrong here, never a bad meal and very well priced

http://www.3horseshoespub.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by thornhillblue wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 07:14
    It's Treoes.
    He's got irritable vowel syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 13:38
    Try this place:
    Quote Originally Posted by blue sky wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 12:04
    Do they do Spotted Dick in the Bush?

I was going to get a job in The Hand, but somebody told me that the Hand jobs are overrated.

I'd much rather spend my time fiddling around in The Bush.

I used to know a bird in The Bush and she loved two in the Hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 17:05
    I used to know a bird in The Bush and she loved two in the Hand.
    To do what in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 15:17
    I was going to get a job in The Hand, but somebody told me that the Hand jobs are overrated.
    I heard the Black Cock Inn has a position to fill urgently, and is looking for an experienced staff.

You look like you've frequented quite a few other kitchens, as well as your Brummie mates!