+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Jeremy Corbyn

Re: Jeremy Corbyn

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 08:23
    30bn over 6 years is 5bn per annum.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 08:11
    et voila
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Tue, 28 July 2015 22:49
    aaaah, utopia. It would be great if it were that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Tue, 28 July 2015 22:39
    Carter has long been a controversial figure in NHS circles, not least because he was, perhaps still is, British chair of US healthcare juggernaut McKeeson. A company with an interest in many NHS contracts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Tue, 28 July 2015 22:01
    He does have plenty of decent, if impractical, ideas. His major flaw has always been his lack of objectivity - perceived or otherwise.
    I've never worked in the public sector. Always private, and I can assure you that the drive for efficiencies post the financial crash (caused of course by reckless capitalists..) has been just as pronounced in the private sector. But, I'm guessing you already knew that..

Quote Originally Posted by Kiffa wrote on Tue, 28 July 2015 21:21
    Feedback would put you right on it .

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 09:20
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 08:23
    et voila
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Tue, 28 July 2015 22:49
    Carter has long been a controversial figure in NHS circles, not least because he was, perhaps still is, British chair of US healthcare juggernaut McKeeson. A company with an interest in many NHS contracts.
    He does have plenty of decent, if impractical, ideas. His major flaw has always been his lack of objectivity - perceived or otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Tue, 28 July 2015 22:01
    I appreciate a lot of these targets could never be achieved but it's certainly a starting point to have a uniform cost structure across the entire nhs.
    I'd say cost management is an integral part of the private sector, whether pre or post crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 10:21
    Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 09:20
    et voila
    I appreciate a lot of these targets could never be achieved but it's certainly a starting point to have a uniform cost structure across the entire nhs.
    Once again, in theory, I wouldn't disagree with that. Although I'm sure there are commercially savvy people in procurement within some CCG's and health boards, all too often the person/team you are negotiating with has limited abilities in this field.
    All of the good points you make - and there are some - are always completely undone by the dogmatic nonsense that impairs your judgement.

Feedback

I think you need to read my post again. I'm not disagreeing that private sector firms have made great efficiencies since the crash. What I said was that this culture existed pre crash. In other words, the culture to drive efficiency was there before the crash happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 11:17
    I think you need to read my post again. I'm not disagreeing that private sector firms have made great efficiencies since the crash. What I said was that this culture existed pre crash. In other words, the culture to drive efficiency was there before the crash happened.
    Back in the day many of my colleagues disliked the Audit Commission Housing Inspectorate when they came calling. I loved them. They gave Council housing departments, ALMOs and housing associations a framework for continuous review and improvement of services. It needed 6 months preparation for every inspection (they came around every 2-3 years) but they banished complacency and stagnant thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 11:17
    I've only ever worked in the private sector and I've worked for wasteful companies, more efficient ones and companies that are a mix of both. To argue otherwise is either naive or necessary only because it fits neatly into your perception of private = good/efficient, public = bad/wasteful.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 12:22
    That's a massive sweeping statement. The efficiency of a company or organisation is always going to depend on the company size, culture, its senior management, it's middle management, the attitude of its staff etc. those criteria are applicable whether the company/organisation is in the private or public sector.
    We all know Labour increased the public sector by 1m between 1997-2008 to secure votes and not because there was a resource requirement for those services. almost 800k were taken on in administration rather than service roles so the process then fits the resource available. given that we saw massive strides in IT advancement in that time and the private sector was utilising IT to streamline its workforce its hard to see why Labour couldn't run the country on the same lines. Only now do we see urgency in Whitehall regarding doing more for less and that should have been in place already.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 12:00
    Maybe so, but not just in the private sector.
    fair enough. I'm going on my experience of waste in the public sector through my dealings with them. There are clearly good and bad throughout

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 12:38
    Many parts of the public sector have had a long-standing efficiency culture (as Archie has pointed out in previous posts). It isn't driven by the same mechanisms as in the private sector, but it has been there.
    is the correct answer. We got there in the end

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 14:00
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt Col Kojak Slaphead III wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 12:38
    Many parts of the public sector have had a long-standing efficiency culture (as Archie has pointed out in previous posts). It isn't driven by the same mechanisms as in the private sector, but it has been there.
    I know you don't like sweeping claims on behalf of whole sectors or industries (and you would never do that!) but from my personal experience local government services were actively seeking major efficiency savings from the 1980s onwards - the eras of Compulsory Competetive Tendering, through the Best Value Reviews of the late 1990s, and into the period of Audit Commission Inspections (mainly through the 2000s until the Con-Dems abolished the commission and its inspectorates). Add to that the Annual Efficiency Statements required of local authorities.
    I've always said that, no matter what impression the lunatics on the left may think (I'm not including you in that, you're quite a sensible poster)