+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Communication Workers Union backs Corbyn

Banned

Re: Communication Workers Union backs Corbyn

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 13:41
    Interestingly, a poll undertaken by research now has Andy Burnham as the preferred choice of those who voted labour in the last GE
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 11:24
    but we will also see large numbers of people diillusioned with Labour coming back to voting Labour or even voting for the very first time. I think we will see a rise in the turn out if he wins.
    The electorate have shown again and again that they dont want a left wing government.

Quote Originally Posted by goslow wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 14:13
    Interestingly, a poll undertaken by research now has Andy Burnham as the preferred choice of those who voted labour in the last GE
    but we will also see large numbers of people diillusioned with Labour coming back to voting Labour or even voting for the very first time. I think we will see a rise in the turn out if he wins.
    What you will see is,baring a spectacular economic downturn is another five years of a conservative government.
    They have not had a mainstream left-wing party to vote for for over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by goslow wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 14:08
    So basicly the union politburo can give someone its backing while the rank and file can vote for someone else?
    Check out the UNISON / Corbyn thread for details of the democratic process which goes down to the grass roots for the decision to support any candidate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 15:37
    What you will see is,baring a spectacular economic downturn is another five years of a conservative government.
    The electorate have shown again and again that they dont want a left wing government.
    And the reason for that is..........

Quote Originally Posted by goslow wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 16:34
    Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 15:37
    They have not had a mainstream left-wing party to vote for for over 30 years.
    Because Labour was infiltrated by neo liberals and moved to the right. The success of the SNP in their last election shows there is an appetite for a left wing party, as does this surge of support for Corbyn.

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 13:05
    Your the one that made the claim about all the unions wanting is a fair deal for their members-but hey ho you hear,see or speak no evil about unions.Good on you for your unstinting loyalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 13:01
    And you have not demonstrated that trade unions do not want a fair deal and social justice. You have made reference to some experience you had 30/40 years ago. Trade unions are far more than the NEC and not all NEC members are the same. But if you want to judge a movement with millions of members by the actions of a handful of your mates 40 years ago, so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 12:31
    And you have demonstrated that they do???
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 11:39
    Mates? Parasites ripping off rank and file members-perhaps you mix with people like that.Might be your style not mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 10:08
    Social justice is what unions exist for.
    Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 09:27
    It was your anecdote. I assumed you were coming from an informed position. It would appear not.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN wrote on Fri, 31 July 2015 21:25
    how arrogant. can you explain why your experiences should be given more weight than anyone else's?
    Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Fri, 31 July 2015 18:44
    It's what you expect from his entrenched tunnel vision world.
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN wrote on Fri, 31 July 2015 18:38
    It would indeed be arrogant if that was what had happened. Given that nobody has shared any actual experiences apart from your random unsubstantiated and vauge statement, it has not happend.
    Bless you-all done for love of your fellow worker. Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 20:02
    Your the one that made the claim about all the unions wanting is a fair deal for their members-but hey ho you hear,see or speak no evil about unions.Good on you for your unstinting loyalty.
    And you have not demonstrated that trade unions do not want a fair deal and social justice. You have made reference to some experience you had 30/40 years ago. Trade unions are far more than the NEC and not all NEC members are the same. But if you want to judge a movement with millions of members by the actions of a handful of your mates 40 years ago, so be it.
    Mates? Parasites ripping off rank and file members-perhaps you mix with people like that.Might be your style not mine.
    It was your anecdote. I assumed you were coming from an informed position. It would appear not.
    how arrogant. can you explain why your experiences should be given more weight than anyone else's?
    It would indeed be arrogant if that was what had happened. Given that nobody has shared any actual experiences apart from your random unsubstantiated and vauge statement, it has not happend.
    Hear no evil!!! CLEARLY struck a chord if you accuse people of lying-as I said entrenched.Enjoy your union convenor benefits.
    For the record, if I go away to a meeting or conference, I get my train fair paid or my mileage reimbursed at the HMRC rate. If it involves an overnight I get my hotel paid for and get £10 out of pocket expenses. You might think this could be classed as 'benefits', but personally I don't see why I should have to pay for my accommodation and travelling if I am doing union business. As far as national or regional business goes, that is it, I don't get anything else. I do get £100 a year from my branch as compensation for the work I do in my own time as a shop steward. Perhaps this could be considered a 'benefit' but given the amount of work I do in my own time that works out as a few pence an hour. It is certainly not enough to attract people who are only in it for the money, especially when you consider the grief that goes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 22:45
    Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN wrote on Sat, 01 August 2015 20:02
    Hear no evil!!! CLEARLY struck a chord if you accuse people of lying-as I said entrenched.Enjoy your union convenor benefits.
    So who exactly have I said was lying and about what?
    I am sure you will say it's all so different now-maybe,maybe not but looking in from afar the last thing the trade unions seem to be are paragons of virtue you would appear to like us to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN wrote on Sun, 02 August 2015 10:11
    OK so you are covered adequately for what you do.
    The free bar events would tend to take place in a hotel. Personaly, i prefer a pint down the pub mixing with the locals.

Feedback

Archie

You seem quick to dismiss others' own personal experiences when considering union behaviour. GRUMPYS DEN and I have both given first hand accounts of our experiences yet despite this you say that's not indicative of the behaviour of unions or union officials. If we can't consider our own experiences to draw on then what can we consider?

I give an example of where the unions at the picket line start giving it the biggie and you say that must be my fault. As for your claim I don't know the earnings of capita staff - I'm an accountant - what exactly do you think I was doing when at friends life? Likewise with the bolshy bolshevik near St John's Church. He didn't like the fact I wasn't totally in support of his cause and thus saw me as part of the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Mon, 03 August 2015 11:36
    Archie
    Rather than constantly arguing with me, any danger of you arguing with the points that have been made like grown ups do?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Mon, 03 August 2015 12:35
    Archie
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Mon, 03 August 2015 11:36
    You seem quick to dismiss others' own personal experiences when considering union behaviour. GRUMPYS DEN and I have both given first hand accounts of our experiences yet despite this you say that's not indicative of the behaviour of unions or union officials. If we can't consider our own experiences to draw on then what can we consider?
    The Capita issue was about below inflation pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Mon, 03 August 2015 18:30
    The Capita issue was about below inflation pay.
    And the problem with this is?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Fri, 31 July 2015 20:42
    lets have a debate, fine all for that. not sure why Corbyn thinks state capitalism is the answer to making the railways better.
    Do you think the railways are better now than they were before privatisation? If they aren't better now then kindly explain why it has cost us far more in real terms to give us a poorer railway than it would have had we not sold the lot off.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Fri, 31 July 2015 13:44
    People, young people especially, are fed up with the Westminster bubble career politician, all with snout in trough. The phrase "they are all the same" is well used. If Corbyn gets elected that will change. Corbyn was the mp who claimed the least expenses of all mps i. 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnasher wrote on Fri, 31 July 2015 09:53
    you have claimed above that people are sick of career politicians. you then claim Corbyn, if made leader, would change that.
    But you knew that didnt you?

Feedback

Feedback

Swampy

Just because what Corbyn says resonates with you doesn't mean he's not a career politician. He's been in Westminster for 32 years, that's a career politician whichever way you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Tue, 04 August 2015 10:51
    Swampy
    Ken Clarke's right, people are seeing Corbyn as the anti soundbite Westminster politician. People say "but they're all the same" because they do seem all the same, that's just changed, even if you can't see it.

Feedback

That's all well and good and at no point have I attempted to argue otherwise, but your inference was he wasn't a career politician. Given he has been in Westminster for 32 years, that's quite an absurd position you've adopted

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Tue, 04 August 2015 12:15
    That's all well and good and at no point have I attempted to argue otherwise, but your inference was he wasn't a career politician. Given he has been in Westminster for 32 years, that's quite an absurd position you've adopted
    Read the Ken Clarke quotes feedy. That's the thing with simple bean counters, they are unable to think outside straight lines, they know the price of everything and the value of nothing.