+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Unison endorses Jeremy Corbyn for Labour leadership

Unison endorses Jeremy Corbyn for Labour leadership

"Unison general secretary Dave Prentis says Corbyn's message is resonating with union's 1.3 million members working in public services"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/29/unison-endor ses-jeremy-corbyn-for-labour-leadership

Re: Unison endorses Jeremy Corbyn for Labour leadership

Ah.
    This may well be the fork in the road where Corbyn becomes 'a worry' for much of his potential electorate.

I'm not saying that should be so, but I'd bet it would be so.

I am a little bit surprised by this. My union has for a very long time very centrist and to take a left of centre stand is actually a bit of a shock.

Feedback

Archie

How does this work? Is David prentis speaking with conviction as the members have been asked and he is relaying their opinion or because he is speaking as the leader of the union?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Wed, 29 July 2015 23:19
    Archie
    All the regional Labour Link Committees have voted on it and Prentis will now be following their instructions. It is a democratic decision rather than one man, if that is ehat you are asking.

Feedback

I didn't really mean one man as such, I meant along the lines of a national committee, the answer is still the same so thanks.

Does the local labour link committees ask their members or do they make a decision for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Thu, 30 July 2015 07:30
    I didn't really mean one man as such, I meant along the lines of a national committee, the answer is still the same so thanks.
    This decision will now see UNISON supporting the Corbyn campaign and reccomending a vote for Corbyn, but it will be still up to individial members to vote as they see fit. UNISON does not have any block vote or anything like that.

Nothing changes does it - steering committee / group branch sub committee / regional board liaison steering group etc etc

Those that pay in to the affiliated fund have an opportuinity to participate in the branch Labour Link (LL) committee. Those branch LL committes then feed in to the regional LL committees, whcih then feeds into the national LL committee. (terrible spelling by the way)

What this means is you'll have a bunch of hard left bullies sat on a committee who will ignore what anyone says - and instead tell their leader everyone said they support Corbyn....

"There wont have been a postal ballot of members or anything like that, but there will have been an opportuinty for LL contibutors to attend the local branch LL committee "

What dont they email their members instead? - that way it doesnt cost anything - Eric the half bee runs polls on here everyday - you should have volunteered him to do it.....

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Thu, 30 July 2015 08:28
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Thu, 30 July 2015 07:30
    Does the local labour link committees ask their members or do they make a decision for them?
    seems reasonable. FWIW I wasn't expecting each member to have a direct say in who UNISON supported. I'd have thought that officials would be elected to make decisions on behalf of members.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Thu, 30 July 2015 09:25
    Nothing changes does it - steering committee / group branch sub committee / regional board liaison steering group etc etc
    Not sure where you are coming from with the hard left comment. You obviously don't know much about UNISON. Being of a hard left persuasion is most definitely a disadvantage when it comes to getting elected in the union.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Thu, 30 July 2015 10:43
    Those that pay in to the affiliated fund have an opportuinity to participate in the branch Labour Link (LL) committee. Those branch LL committes then feed in to the regional LL committees, whcih then feeds into the national LL committee. (terrible spelling by the way)
    I think the point is that if the UNISON members don't want Corbyn but union resources and exposure are used to promote Corbyn, then its going against what the members actually want.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Thu, 30 July 2015 14:42
    What this means is you'll have a bunch of hard left bullies sat on a committee who will ignore what anyone says - and instead tell their leader everyone said they support Corbyn....
    I am sure there are lots of thing the union does that does not have 100% support from all of its members, but this decision has been arrived at democratically. I don't think a huge amount of money will be spent on campaigning for Corbyn, this is just a case of an endorsement by the union.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Thu, 30 July 2015 15:48
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Schumann wrote on Thu, 30 July 2015 14:42
    "There wont have been a postal ballot of members or anything like that, but there will have been an opportuinty for LL contibutors to attend the local branch LL committee "
    still, the members have their say at the ballot box so no real issue

"I think the point is that if the UNISON members don't want Corbyn but union resources and exposure are used to promote Corbyn, then its going against what the members actually want"

100% bang on

Coming from a strong hard left background myself - that stuff went on years ago - and it seems nothing has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Thu, 30 July 2015 17:38
    "I think the point is that if the UNISON members don't want Corbyn but union resources and exposure are used to promote Corbyn, then its going against what the members actually want"
    As a point of information UNISON represents 1.3 million workers in the UK. 430,000 have actively opted-in to the union's political fund. In the region of 28,000 UNISON members are members of the Labour Party in their own right. And around 15,000 are registered to vote in the leadership contest.

It does seem that Corbyn has hit upon a vein of enthusiasm i cannot recall any politician doing for a very long time.

Tonight the Jeremy Corbyn show rolled into Camden and by most estimates, well over 2500 people turned up. A main hall packed to the rafters, two overflow rooms similarly packed - and hundreds listening in the street outside. Jeremy spoke 5 times in all - and even spoke to the crowd gathered outside from the top of a fire engine.

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Mon, 03 August 2015 22:54
    It does seem that Corbyn has hit upon a vein of enthusiasm i cannot recall any politician doing for a very long time.
    Archie, quick question, I've just joined union in my new job. Does that mean I get a vote in Labour leadership election? Not sure how these things work but curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Irish wrote on Mon, 03 August 2015 23:06
    Archie, quick question, I've just joined union in my new job. Does that mean I get a vote in Labour leadership election? Not sure how these things work but curious.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by archibald leitch wrote on Tue, 04 August 2015 07:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Irish wrote on Mon, 03 August 2015 23:06
    Not quite that simple. You have to also be paying in to your union's affiliated political fund.
    Thanks Archie, that's cleared that up as I wasn't sure (well clueless to be honest )