+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: We need a director of football

We need a director of football

From top to bottom there are very few with any knowledge of the game. We need somebody installed who has an in depth knowledge of the game and somebody who has experience of how to get things right at a club like ours.

If Slade was to be sacked this afternoon would anybody have any faith in those at the club picking a successful replacement? I certainly wouldn't.

We won't turn the corner, in my opinion, until we get somebody on board who knows the football world and knows what they are doing. Our board, as it stands, does not have enough football knowledge. Great businessman yes but they leave a lot to be desired where running a football club is concerned.

Re: We need a director of football

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 12:55
    From top to bottom there are very few with any knowledge of the game. We need somebody installed who has an in depth knowledge of the game and somebody who has experience of how to get things right at a club like ours.
    Tan should have made sure Ridsdale stayed at the club to oversee all football matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 13:17
    If Slade was to be sacked this afternoon would anybody have any faith in those at the club picking a successful replacement? I certainly wouldn't.
    Ridsdale is still only half way through a 9 year ban as a director having been deemed by the courts to be unfit for that purpose.

Out of interest, who on the board do you regard as being a " great businessman"?

Funnily enough that exact thought occurred to me earlier on. Haven't got any likely candidates mind. As for Ridsdale, being barred as a director wouldn't be an obstacle. They could call him general manager or football consultant or something. Not sure he'd be my choice and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be Tan's. Too fond of splashing the cash.

We need football , then the director

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 13:44
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 13:17
    We won't turn the corner, in my opinion, until we get somebody on board who knows the football world and knows what they are doing. Our board, as it stands, does not have enough football knowledge. Great businessman yes but they leave a lot to be desired where running a football club is concerned.
    I didn't say as a director. I said he should have kept him on to oversee all football matters, he's been the only one in recent times that actually knew the job.

Agreed!

Apparently, some of the Directors don't even attend meetings or visit the club. They are VT's people, just there so he can maintain a controlling majority on the Board. A Technical Director/Director of Football on the Board would be the best thing for a club like ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 13:57
    Funnily enough that exact thought occurred to me earlier on. Haven't got any likely candidates mind. As for Ridsdale, being barred as a director wouldn't be an obstacle. They could call him general manager or football consultant or something. Not sure he'd be my choice and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be Tan's. Too fond of splashing the cash.
    He already has that job for the owner of PNE

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 13:46

We have a director of football his name is Vincent tan

I agree entirely with the idea of having more football expertise in the Boardroom, but, even before what happened with with Mackay and Moody, I've had the strong feeling that our owner doesn't trust "football people", hence the appointment of Simon Lim and Ken Choo.

We shouldn't forget either that, according to the man himself, Vincent Tan now understands football!

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 16:37
    I agree entirely with the idea of having more football expertise in the Boardroom, but, even before what happened with with Mackay and Moody, I've had the strong feeling that our owner doesn't trust "football people", hence the appointment of Simon Lim and Ken Choo.
    With Trollope in I think we'd do better getting in a DoF next.

Problem with this is getting our board to appoint a decent Director of Football.

Can you please tell me where a DIRECTOR of FOOTBALL has been successful.

Another waste of funds on a clipboard carrying job. (you know the HR type of jobs)

We need a manager, not another yes man robbing the club.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 18:25
    Can you please tell me where a DIRECTOR of FOOTBALL has been successful.
    Interesting that two of our current best players were brought on by Ole.

Oh for a ex player, loyal to the club, would never rip it off with a respectable standing in the game, a man who genuinely loves the club and would be a football voice of reason above 'dug out' level. Problem is we've never had a Tom Finney or Bobby Charlton type club man have we. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 19:12
    Oh for a ex player, loyal to the club, would never rip it off with a respectable standing in the game, a man who genuinely loves the club and would be a football voice of reason above 'dug out' level. Problem is we've never had a Tom Finney or Bobby Charlton type club man have we. Any suggestions?
    Gary Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Mon, 11 January 2016 19:12
    Scott Young - I have heard he is a top coach also

What about dave jones as director of football, he bought so good players to the club when manager and probably still has his contacts!!

City needed one of those in the PL season.

Not having anyone oversee transfers and the running of the football side of the club that season was lunacy, amateurish, bizarre and just ridiculous.

Same applied to the next season leaving OGS free with a cheque book was just crass.

Not having any football people in place running a football club is just asking for trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop wrote on Tue, 12 January 2016 13:11
    City needed one of those in the PL season.
    ONCE AGAIN, can anyone tell me a club where a "DIRECTOR of FOOTBALL" works. ?

Whatever the title, call it what you will, but we all know what OP was getting at.

I wonder if anybody save Borley on the board knows what 4-4-2 is

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop wrote on Tue, 12 January 2016 14:45
    Whatever the title, call it what you will, but we all know what OP was getting at.
    If not a director of football or a football man on board then what do those who are knocking it suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj wrote on Tue, 12 January 2016 15:40
    Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop wrote on Tue, 12 January 2016 14:45
    I wonder if anybody save Borley on the board knows what 4-4-2 is
    So you want a fella buying players that the manager (whoever it is), MAY NOT WANT.