+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The end of the promotion challenge that hardly ever felt like one.

The end of the promotion challenge that hardly ever felt like one.

Re: The end of the promotion challenge that hardly ever felt like one.

Good read , I agree with all that and glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that Slade sets up his teams to not lose and stay in a game and try and pinch a goal!
    I would like to see Slade replaced I just get the feeling that the club will go down the cheap option of just renewing his contract

The 'Chattering classes of our fanbase!' Love it Paul. Good read as always Paul. My post season reaction will be one of frustration and anger at how Slade managed the team in the final and most important hurdle (last six games). The guy is clearly not good enough and has to be moved on.
    Spedger

Spot on we will never progress with Slade at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Very well reasoned, Bob, and almost exactly how I feel. I too found it hard to argue with results a few games ago, but I did feel that the improvement came from a change of formation that had been stumbled upon, or even forced on the manager, rather than chosen. Once that improvement stopped, and we had to win games, our performances declined alarmingly.

Slade is a League 1 manager for an unambitious club. He has shown no signs of tactical awareness, being unable to react when the opposition changes its pattern (Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday, Brentford at home). He has an underdog mentality. He signed Alex Revell, enough of an indictment on its own to prove the point that he is unaware of what is needed at this level.

I have been delighted with the club, if not the team, over the last few weeks. Developments such as the ridding of Sam Hammam, the debt to equity and the attempts to raise attendances have created a feeling of rapprochement which it is important to keep. I fear that retaining Slade will have a negative effect on that feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn View Post
    Very well reasoned, Bob, and almost exactly how I feel. I too found it hard to argue with results a few games ago, but I did feel that the improvement came from a change of formation that had been stumbled upon, or even forced on the manager, rather than chosen. Once that improvement stopped, and we had to win games, our performances declined alarmingly.

Slade is a League 1 manager for an unambitious club. He has shown no signs of tactical awareness, being unable to react when the opposition changes its pattern (Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday, Brentford at home). He has an underdog mentality. He signed Alex Revell, enough of an indictment on its own to prove the point that he is unaware of what is needed at this level.

I have been delighted with the club, if not the team, over the last few weeks. Developments such as the ridding of Sam Hammam, the debt to equity and the attempts to raise attendances have created a feeling of rapprochement which it is important to keep. I fear that retaining Slade will have a negative effect on that feeling.

Exactly. All the good work would have been in vain.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    Spot on we will never progress with Slade at the helm.
    We have progressed with Slade at the helm

The most frustrating thing has been that we have often got good results against the better teams in the division; while messing up against the worst sides.

For me this indicates that we had the ability to get into the play-offs, but were let down by a lack of backbone and resolve in the team - qualities that Malky's team had in spades.

(Ooops )

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    We have progressed with Slade at the helm
    How, we are still where we started in the championship.

I just watched the highlights on the football league show and the only word I can think of to sum up what I watched was "embarrassing".

Slade needs to go. We will not progress under him, he's achieved all he can for Cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I just watched the highlights on the football league show and the only word I can think of to sum up what I watched was "embarrassing".

Slade needs to go. We will not progress under him, he's UNDER achieved all he can for Cardiff.

FYP.

I hope Slade can prove himself worthy enough in this championship game.

What I find really frustrating is...slade and his team (let's not forget young & trollope) never give the youth a run.
    Like you say in your blog Healy has been banging em in for fun at development level....How long was the message boards crying out for ralls.
    Get him out now or it could well be a religation scrap next season.

Managers have essentially two separate skill sets - managing and getting the best out of his squad, and bringing in/moving out players as the squad develops. I'd give Slade 6, maybe 7 out of 10 for the first, and probably 2 out of 10 for the latter.

With a squad of circa 30 players there isn't a single one who grabs your attention when he gets the ball, and we seem to have a manager who adds mediocrity to mediocrity, rather than attempting to improve the squad [well, that's how it seems].

I fear next season under Slade will be a wake up call for the club. As we've chased the top 6 and kept them in our sights, the team has kept up the work ethic that has seen us so competitive at home. Without the hare to chase, I really think this squad will drop below mid table next season.