+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Monty leading The Open

Monty leading The Open

Early leader.
    Promised much, earned a fortune but won "nothing of note" back in his day.
    In this year of sporting shocks, could it be his year?

:tongueincheeksmiley:

Re: Monty leading The Open

Double bogeyed the first as well!
    Its his home course, no-one knows it better. Can he win it? Doubt it.

He could be six in the lead going into the last hole and he'd still lose it.

Links courses are great when the wind blows, but, with these players, it's like watching pitch and putt when it doesn't. All the commentators love it when the leaders are all about fifteen under par, but I find watching birdies and eagles galore boring - I'd play the Open at Carnoustie every year if I was in charge of golf in this country .

-2 now,leader Justin Thomas -4

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    He could be six in the lead going into the last hole and he'd still lose it.
    He really was a serial bottler.
    I was a big fan when he originally broke through and was leading European for what seemed like decades.
    I used to get so worked up at majors watching him play well for 3 rounds then blow it, in the latter years I found watching him just irritated me.

Sergio Garcia is another who promises so much but falters.

He's got a good Ryder cup record though 23.5 points out of 36, the third highest points scorer for Europe

My father in law reckons there was one shot missing from his arsenal (either bending it left or right, I can't remember which) but that he would have win majors if he had been able to play that kind of shot well

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Links courses are great when the wind blows, but, with these players, it's like watching pitch and putt when it doesn't. All the commentators love it when the leaders are all about fifteen under par, but I find watching birdies and eagles galore boring - I'd play the Open at Carnoustie every year if I was in charge of golf in this country .
    I know what you mean.
    Always loved the masters mind, back from when I was a wee lad (possibly as it meant I could stay up late if I showed interest!) and they do try to "mix it up" a bit by positioning the pin in awkward places to inject a bit of drama.
    These links courses however can provide drama on a grand scale, and with the Great British weather the way it is, you can be lucky or very unlucky in just a few hours.

Of course it makes it so difficult to predict The Open winner and the bookies clean up on most occasions.

I'm going Danny Willett or Justin Rose.
    Who's your money on Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    He's got a good Ryder cup record though 23.5 points out of 36, the third highest points scorer for Europe
    He's a real team player no doubt about it. Always wore his heart on his sleeve and a very emotional man.

Live coverage here for those of you who haven't got Sky Sports.
    http://www.theopen.com/LiveCoverage

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I know what you mean.
    Always loved the masters mind, back from when I was a wee lad (possibly as it meant I could stay up late if I showed interest!) and they do try to "mix it up" a bit by positioning the pin in awkward places to inject a bit of drama.
    These links courses however can provide drama on a grand scale, and with the Great British weather the way it is, you can be lucky or very unlucky in just a few hours.

Of course it makes it so difficult to predict The Open winner and the bookies clean up on most occasions.

I'm going Danny Willett or Justin Rose.
    Who's your money on Bob?
    I read somewhere that an American has won every time the Open has been played at Troon, so I'll go for Jason Day .

I read somewhere that an American has won every time the Open has been played at Troon, so I'll go for Jason Day .

Speith must be smarting mind, having looked invincible prior to the Masters so perhaps that trend may continue

It's been held at Troon 8 times the first time being in 1923 which was won by an Englishman,a South African won it the next time, since then it's been won by an American the six times it's been played there

Looks like you are going to get your wish tomorrow, they're forecasting strong winds and rain!

Won't be seeing scores anything like today's but it is good to see one of the greats shooting the course record, albeit in perfect golfing conditions, Phil Mickelson's 63.
    I certainly wouldn't mind him keeping the American run going, long way to go though!

You make a fair point, but I still enjoy the shot making of these top pros. The one thing I do appreciate in this Major is that the greens look 'normal', and not as brutally fast as the joke greens we saw at Oakmont, which one participant summed up as trying to putt down wooden stairs to a hole on the 3rd step from the bottom. Making the greens too overly fast does nothing for the game as a competitive spectacle. It becomes a novelty display - they might as well put toy windmills and gnomes with fishing rods on the greens. I like to watch these guys putt. Their proficiency is truly awesome, in the real sense of the word.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    ... And mostly in an era when the US dominated