I'd put him in the same bracket as Marshall. A good player that you expect lots from and can show more magical performances than you can shake a stick at but has some really frustrating points to his game too...

I think that Warnock has, for the first time in ages, pushed Whitts back up the field to where he really belongs. He has had too many seasons playing as a "central defender" rather than an "attacking midfielder", and it could take another pre-season to reeducate him back to his more natural attacking ways. The last five minutes of the first half of the Brentford game was so frustrating as we turned a promising attack into a full blown retreat ending up with the ball going back to McGregor. Too many times these last few seasons we've seen plays like this and Whitts, and increasingly Ralls, are usually involved. A good deal of that comes with management of the team but especially the type of play the manager wants the team to work at. Slade's "punt and chase" or Paulk's "defence is the best form of defence" style means that Whitts and other players were given shackles. One thing that Warnock has done is to create a trustworthy back four (well 3 out of four but that's another opinion/story) thus allowing a more attacking style of play. Fast flank attacks and with Zohore, arguably being this seasons most improved player, means that Whitts can finally get back to doing what he does best (or wants).

Since coming back to be one of the starters over the last few games shows that Warnock still has confidence in Whitts even if sometimes he doubts his own. As we saw on Saturday he has a mercurial ability of causing moans from fans angered by his negative defeatist / over cautious style of play one minute to getting standing ovations the next with his pinpoint cross field passes or a shot to nothing (right footed too) for the game winning goal. Just for these soap opera-esque moments alone he's worth every penny in my opinion.