Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
I agree, you don’t get much for 10 million these days. Hell, we might even get back the cash blown in madine! I’m pretty sure Murphy and Reid will either do very well next season or move on for what we paid. I recall maCormack going for 11 million a few years ago and he’s guff in comparison. Solid squad, will find things much easier in the championship so why not let Neil work his usual magic.
Depends what you mean by that; if we're talking about a player in the middle of their contract who has good relationship with current club, especially if that club is UK based, and current club isn't in financial difficulty then you're not likely to get a premier league quality player for as little as £10million these days. However, we know there are loads of players who fall outside that narrow band, especially if you can offer a massive jump in weekly wages a la Juve. 3 of Liverpool's back 5 tonight have cost £6 million in transfer fees and they seem to be doing ok.

Based on where we were as club and we were always likely to overspend on individual players. Question should be whether we could have spent the money we did more astutely and whether we're now going to take a proper look at a scouting programme and youth development pathway so we're not always having to spend to improve our squad.