Quote Originally Posted by CardiffCitySince1927 View Post
Would’ve had him down as a tricky winger myself.

Vieira maybe, he was class on the ball but even though he wasn’t about that idea he was in that position so can he really be classed as a ballplaying midfielder?
Guillit was excellent across the park, his main position was attacking midfield/centre forward in his prime so more offensive than ball playing realling
Don’t know about Barnes personally - didn’t watch him
Rjikaard was a defensive midfielder primarily...
Yaya Toure, was more of a box to box powerhouse in my view

Didn’t watch him play so can’t comment

Didn’t see him play unfortunately

Is the best defensive midfielder in the world. Not ball playing midfielder

Those are mostly defensive midfielders (Matuidi, Tolisso, Fabinho, Witsel). Others are box to box (Ndombele, Fred, Wjinaldum). Haven’t watched Tielemans enough to verify the claim

David’s I didn’t watch but Seedorf was more gifted at box to box in my view. Though I could see that as an exception
Are you saying that Pogba is the only black "ball playing midfielder" then? Not sure what your criteria for that is, especially in comparison to the players named in this thread; unless you think Pogba does nothing other than sit centrally & play passes and that makes him a ball playing midfielder

I won't go through all of the players in the thread again but your descriptions of a lot of them seem incorrect to me in terms of their playing roles. None moreso than you than describing Jay-Jay Okocha as a tricky winger when he was the epitome of a central playmaker. He didn't have the pace to be a winger.