Promotion, aims?

To get to know the players, meet all the staff and try to get across my principles in a short space of time. Tough week because we’ve got players away and we have to prepare for the three games next week. New to the job and to the area, the change is vast. I know the principles of the fans, I’ve played here myself.

Fans reaction, not Neil Warnock, but Warnock-like?

What you’re referring to is the club previously and the way we played (Millwall). Getting the ball forward quickly, some principles I will stick to, some I want to adjust now. How I’ve come through as a coach I want to stick to some of them. I don’t think there is a Neil Warnock mark II. I will be respectful to the players I’ve got. There has to be a process of change, it won’t be overnight. I want to adjust the mindset of the players, not just one style of play. Top-six finish is ultimately the aim, I won’t make any promises because we have to earn the right. It’s not easy when you come out of the Premier League to get there. You get fans over by winning games of football and being yourself.

Underwhelmed fans?

I’m not on social media, but I’m also understanding. I know how football works, everyone wants a big name and someone who has won the world cup. No disrespect to Millwall, I’ve come from a club at a different level to what Cardiff is at. I will always do my best for Cardiff City. I played at Ninian Park, played a lot against Cardiff teams, fans want to see players have a go. I can promise them we won’t fall short of competing and doing our best.

No (not worked with players before), that’s positive. Fresh voice, fresh ideas, fresh training sessions, fresh ideas