Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
I will be interested to see what comes out officially about the self-employed today. I don't think the furloughed worker scheme stands up to scrutiny and the business loans scheme is a complete shambles with businesses being told that after the first year they will be paying 12% interest a year (despite the loans being effectively 80% guaranteed by the government).

I know it is not in fashion to criticise the government (or especially Rishi) now but this ideological attachment to trickle down economics and trusting business with the family silver is clearly counter-productive in a situation like this. Businesses and Banks have one eye on the coming recession and will do everything they can to use any leeway they are given by the government to feather their own nest. If the idea was that we help individuals then this is a disaster waiting to happen.

Regarding the furloughed workers scheme.

Unless I have read this wrong, if somebody was layed off last year we pay them universal credit (i.e. pittence). If they are at risk of being layed off this year we pay them up to 2,500 a month.

The mental gymnastics that some people must be going through to simultaneously justify a benefits system that gives people even less money than it does dignity, whilst at the same time themselves claiming 80% of their healthy salary from the taxpayer whilst sitting on their arses must be giving them nosebleeds.
I could read these posts all day