Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
Any other time I wouldn’t mind being made redundant tbh I’m looking to get out of a dying industry but obviously not ideal time for a career change. However, there’s no way I’ll get redundancy, I’ve already been asked off record for my opinion on who I think should be left go and was difficult to answer as there’s a lot of dead wood and shirkers in the office. The 4 “workers” are still working and probably one other is unlucky to be on furlough but the other 7 you could make a case for all of them to go. Plus, It will cost them too much to make me redundant anyway. Sadly, I think decisions are going to be made on how little it costs the business rather than their skill.
Three of my neighbours are on furlough - that is 3 in one house.

One is at a builder's merchants. He has refused to go to work, even though his workplace is now open.
His wife is self-employed, so that is pretty much that.
The son works at a factory, but in the office. He refused to work from home so was furloughed.

I am wfh - he knocks my door complaining because the gazebo we have up was blowing around in the wind. Conversation that happened over a safe distance - "You need to take that down" - "I'll do it later" - "It'll get damaged in the wind" - "I can't do it now" - "I'll help" - "Thanks, but it will not be possible to socially distance when doing it. I'll do it after I finish work" - "They won't know will they?" - "Probably not, but I'm getting paid to work for them, not on my garden" - "When do you finish then?" - "If the last week is anything to go by, 8-9 pm".

This on top of a few other comments about how my house could do with a repaint, or the driveway has weeds "Plenty of time to fix that now" type comments.

It's basically been visitor after visitor going to their house, barbecues in the back garden, a fully paid holiday. I agree with furlough, but some people are definitely taking the piss.

Like you say, though, when redundancies happen (as they will at my place) - they will do it the cheapest way possible.