Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
According to journalist Joe Lovejoy he went "missing" in the summer whilst doing a 3 month stint in Exeter Prison as told to him by one of his cell-mates. A story that has never been confirmed. I asked Richard Shepherd if he had the 1977 CCFC board minutes which might have shed some light on his antics but they got chucked out with the usual cavalier attitude the club had to its archives. You are right about the fact that he could be brilliant but in most of the games he played in he was "invisible and disinterested" and i would add to that just plain "absent" which was more often than not. Apologies for nit picking but he scored 6 league goals and one Welsh Cup goal against Shrewsbury in the first leg of the final. His transfer fee was not a lot compared to the £50,000 Reading initially wanted but no-one other than us were prepared to take the risk on him. I agree with you about Gary Stevens but would also add Ray Bishop who we signed that season and cost us only £1,000. In terms of Keith Robson, whilst at West Ham Ron Greenwood had to go to court to prevent him from being jailed after having driven the wrong way up a one way street when already banned for drink driving - we can certainly pick 'em
I knew about his Welsh cup goal too. Gary Stevens used to take a hell of lot of stick from supporters but his goalscoring record was very good. I seem to remember a couple of seasons where he started and finished well but had long goalless spells in the middle. Ray Bishop was a bargain too. And we made a profit on them when they left.