Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
I broadly agree with the points you make but what we are getting from Boris Johnson is "now is not the time" for such an enquiry.

This does not seem to have stopped either he or the team at No 10 feeding little drips of poison into the media against who they think should be the scapegoats for the failures (i.e not them).

In this regard it also suits that PHE, rightly or wrongly, are one of the main targets of these negative briefings as, pointed out earlier, they report directly to DHSC, whose Secretary of State, Matt Hancock is surely being lined up as one of the fall guys to take a bullet for Johnson and Cummings.

Where the truth is in all of this heaven knows but in modern populist politics that seems to be one of the last concerns.
I tend to agree that now is not the time for an enquiry but it shouldn't be too long
probably one should be set up in the autumn or early in the new year at the latest.

Number 10 is always doing negative briefings under any Prime Minister.

I note though that Boris Johnston is apparently going to set up a daily press briefing from the autumn, with an experienced broadcaster running it