Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
There have been massive tenure changes in the UK since the late 1970s - through stock transfer, Right To Buy, and the new growth of private rented as housing became more affordable and Right To Buy homes were hoovered up by volume landlords.

Council housing is now at 6.7% of the total and housing associations are at 10.1% - 16.8% combined (approx 1 in 6 homes in the UK). In 1981 the social housing figure (almost all council housing) was 31.7% of all UK housing. It has nearly halved in 40 years.

Owner occupation peaked in 2003 at 71% of all housing. It is now down just above 63%.

Private rented housing was at its' lowest level in 1992 at about 9%. It is now up around 20% of all housing.

More and more, those people who have very little choice and cannot buy or get accepted onto council lists are ending up in private rented homes - many of them ex-council, many of them in 'buy to let' blocks, many of them with insecurity of tenure and lousy living conditions.
its a disgrace , I look at people I know who made a mint out of buying then selling their council home .....the tories said it was for people to have a home for life .....yeah right .......and then became landlords themselves , all on the back of council housing .....I dont know how people live with themselves