Quote Originally Posted by Re-sign Carl Dale View Post
Great that you got the opportunity for advice via work. I run retirement courses for staff at a few Universities and they are always really well received. It’s the sign of a caring employer.

Income Drawdown is the route where probably 90% of my clients go down - suitable if they have the capacity to tolerate investment fluctuations, both financially and emotionally!

The last 10 or so years for investments have been generally really good ... the next couple of years could be more interesting, although the trajectory is always up if you can leave it long enough.

A key approach is to have a strategy of not being forced to sell during a period temporary decline - I always recommend that a cash / very cautious buffer within a pension fund is held. This is exclusively there to pay income and cover charges for a couple of years. This means that you don’t need to worry about the short term fluctuations we’ve seen over the last few months as the only part that is exposed to these, won’t be needing to be touched for a while.

This is great advise ( A key approach is to have a strategy of not being forced to sell during a period temporary decline) as we do become a bit panicky on times of crises , I know it off topic but I didn't sell my endowment mortgage plan when others were advising to do so , I kept it as it also had lie assurance attached to it , and simply increased my repayments contributions year on year to make up for shortfall , its been tough and tempting to sell buy hey it has paid off after 20 years ,yes slightly reduced but still performed better than a lot of saving plans .

There is an argument that you may make something in 5 to 10 years as markets recover , if your careful or picking the right pension