Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Yes, that has happened in the past and I've read on a few occasions experts saying that it is best for the virus' long term survival for it to become something that can find human hosts without killing as many of them. Hopefully, that will happen again this time, but, for now, while it is good news that not as many as might have been expected are dying in America, it seems to me that there are more credible reasons as to why this is the case than it being down to the virus mutating into something less harmful to us. Wouldn't such a mutation take longer than a few months?
In my opinion it is very difficult to glean anything from just looking at number of cases vs number of deaths. Firstly, each country uses different ways of recording cases and/or deaths. Secondly, each country tests subjects based on differing criteria. Lastly, even looking at some countries in isolation, their methods of testing and recording have differed over time.

In the UK, initially only people who were sick were being tested. Now, people are being tested for various reasons. My partner is getting tested weekly as a care worker.

The data I tend to look at is the data provided by the ONS which is extrapolated from various sources of data.

One other thing that I think may be causing a more favourable death to case ratio is that I think those people who are more susceptible to getting seriously sick have changed their behaviour over time. Care homes are being better protected than they once were, for example.