Quote Originally Posted by Pontprennau Bluebird View Post
For me, it’s still hard to take that a team finishing 4th ....or even 5,6 or 7th in the PL can go on to be crowned the best team in a “Champions” league. Indeed, if, say, Burton Albion won the League Cup, then the Europa Cup, then the Champions League.....unlikely but technically possible. Grumpy old man speaking here of course.

I guess the logic is that if we are looking for the Best Team in Europe, then the team finishing 4th in England might have better credentials that the champions of Northern Ireland or Latvia. Sad though, eh?
I get what you mean but otherwise the competition would basically be between 4 maybe 5 teams. Would make winning CL so much easier. Whilst you may see better players playing in Portugal, Russia, Scotland etc the competition wouldn't be the best.

Years ago it would have been far easier to win a European Cup for that reason. I mean they could possibly do a European super league and at the end of the season. Do a champions tournament. However by that point would probably be even more bored of seeing the same teams.