Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post

I was fully supportive of the Government at the time that the lockdowns were announced. I still think the lockdowns were effective, but during that time we learnt about the tragic handling of care homes. We were then presented with the Chief Advisor breaking his own rules, and despite my loathing of Cummings, it was TV that was only watchable behind a pillow, it was that bad.

In an effort to bury bad news with good, England opened up at a super fast rate, and because there were no "spikes" within a day or two of 500,000 people going to the South Coast, or pubs re-opening, the cautious approach of Drakeford was seen as "him just trying to be different" to the forelock tuggers. With 4 million people placed into lockdown, some before the previous lockdown had actually ended, the scientific advisors warned that "we were at the edge of what we can do" - the implication being that there may well be a choice between opening pubs, or opening classrooms.

As over-zealous as ever to tell us how wonderful they are, they divulged the results of a study that, just a day later, has been called "a work in progress". Johnson warns of some "bumpy months ahead" today, with 220,000 people losing their jobs during furlough, and three times as many likely to lose their jobs immediately post furlough ending.

While the figures are, currently, low the writing does seem to be on the wall that if any Government is walking into a new national lockdown, then it is this one. They'll be singing hurrah and giving it the old "It'll all be over by Christmas" British bravado along the way, and proclaiming British Common Sense as the biggest weapon in the entire world. Johnson is so stupid, I've got even money on him being the first World Leader to get the virus twice.
I can remember being incredulous back in June when someone in authority said it would be September before track and trace in the UK would be working properly - that looks an over optimistic forecast now. I know it's not really true, but, having been tardy int he extreme when it came to preparation for the virus back in the early months of the year, it sometimes feels like the Government have been doing nothing since lockdown was relaxed except for trying to "save the summer" when it comes to what we may face in the coming weeks and months.