+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Writes a long-arsed article criticising lockdown then concludes it by saying 'a Swedish approach was always unrealistic in Britain', not sure where he was coming from really.

MD (Dr Phil Hammond) does an excellent piece on Sweden in the latest Private Eye. I don't think it's online anywhere so I can't link it. He says there was a 'slowdown' in Sweden which didn't need to become a full lockdown because 'the majority of Swedes understood and accepted the risks and complied with measures voluntarily'. Obviously I can't vouch for that but my lad spent the first two months of lockdown in Holland and was surprised how stupid British people were in comparison when he moved back here.

MD asks if the UK could've copied Sweden and continues

"Yes, but our outcomes would likely have been far worse. The UK is a much more overcrowded and busier travel hub than Sweden and with little border control the pandemic 'loading dose' in the UK was much higher and more widely spread, so health services would have been under much greater pressure without lockdown.

The UK is also singularly ill-placed to cope with Covid. Our public health is appalling. We have emerged from the pandemic as the Sick Man of Europe because we were the Sick Man of Europe before it started. Covid has just acted as an accelerator of pre-existing risks and inequalities. The UK puts much less into its health and social care system than Sweden. Sweden has a much better life expectancy than the UK (where improvements have stalled for two years running). The UK has far greater levels of poverty, over-crowding, obesity and chronic disease than Sweden. If the UK had tried the Swedish approach without lockdown, the wave of serious illness would've overwhelmed the NHS, because we can barely cope with the wave of serious illnesses that aren't Covid. Yet many are preventable.

Too many Brits take too little personal responsibility for their health, junk food is everywhere and the state does not help those most in need. Two thirds of those who have died from Covid in the UK were already living with disability, and 80% had one or more pre-existing illnesses. Sweden, on the other hand, is one of the fittest nations in Europe, the ideal country to test a more relaxed approach."

Banned

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Writes a long-arsed article criticising lockdown then concludes it by saying 'a Swedish approach was always unrealistic in Britain', not sure where he was coming from really.

MD (Dr Phil Hammond) does an excellent piece on Sweden in the latest Private Eye. I don't think it's online anywhere so I can't link it. He says there was a 'slowdown' in Sweden which didn't need to become a full lockdown because 'the majority of Swedes understood and accepted the risks and complied with measures voluntarily'. Obviously I can't vouch for that but my lad spent the first two months of lockdown in Holland and was surprised how stupid British people were in comparison when he moved back here.

MD asks if the UK could've copied Sweden and continues

"Yes, but our outcomes would likely have been far worse. The UK is a much more overcrowded and busier travel hub than Sweden and with little border control the pandemic 'loading dose' in the UK was much higher and more widely spread, so health services would have been under much greater pressure without lockdown.

The UK is also singularly ill-placed to cope with Covid. Our public health is appalling. We have emerged from the pandemic as the Sick Man of Europe because we were the Sick Man of Europe before it started. Covid has just acted as an accelerator of pre-existing risks and inequalities. The UK puts much less into its health and social care system than Sweden. Sweden has a much better life expectancy than the UK (where improvements have stalled for two years running). The UK has far greater levels of poverty, over-crowding, obesity and chronic disease than Sweden. If the UK had tried the Swedish approach without lockdown, the wave of serious illness would've overwhelmed the NHS, because we can barely cope with the wave of serious illnesses that aren't Covid. Yet many are preventable.

Too many Brits take too little personal responsibility for their health, junk food is everywhere and the state does not help those most in need. Two thirds of those who have died from Covid in the UK were already living with disability, and 80% had one or more pre-existing illnesses. Sweden, on the other hand, is one of the fittest nations in Europe, the ideal country to test a more relaxed approach."
    The Headline writers made it more interesting than the actual article.