Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
So, are you saying the UK Government has no say in testing and tracing in Wales, because there is no mention of them in what you have listed. If so, how does that tie in with the story on the weekend about the testing centre in Porth (I can't remember if it had the capacity to do three or five hundred tests a day) being told by central Government to do just sixty, which was then raised to a hundred and twenty after representations by the Welsh Government?

That is the sort of administration I mean, the sort that was at the heart of the opening story on last night's Newsnight where the point was made that while the Government deserves credit for the big increase in testing numbers compared to the spring, they are, clearly, not getting the best out of the system at present.
The paper I quoted was written by the Welsh government. Of course central government has a say in the arrangements but an earlier post of mine pointed out that the Welsh and Scots governments were involved which their own paper confirms and you will probably agree all 3 countries follow broadly the English arrangements with regard to lockdowns, testing and quarantines with tweaks around the edges. Also an earlier post of mine stated:

" However, I agree the test and trace arrangements are farcical. I live in Devon; people are being told to go 20 miles for a test but then discover Swansea is 20 miles by sea but a 300 miles round trip by road. It's a joke."

Incidentally I was very surprised to hear on the radio this morning that, even with out shambolic test and trace system, the UK is testing more than Germany per day - a country which is held up as being an example to us all.

Just to put the record straight I am no supporter of the test and trace arrangements and think things are going to get more challenging for the government when students who man many of the testing centres return to University/College. The government contractors SERCO seem to have avoided criticism so far so let's see what happens going forward.