Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
I assumed Merthyr were not allowed to play because of the current Welsh Assembly guidelines, but I've Only just noticed that the Welsh Premier League is actually active. So how come those sides can play but not Merthyr? I think Merthyr announced their mothballing before Merthyr County went into lockdown.
I believe it’s the case that Welsh Government restrictions (as well as possibly FAW restrictions) is what has put the kibosh on Merthyr’s season. I think Merthyr can play but would have to do so behind closed doors and the lower you go down the football pyramid crowd revenue becomes far more important to a club’s viability in the short term.

I don’t know enough about the WPL but I would have to assume clubs must be being supported financially to some degree by the FAW to continue playing behind closed doors. All the levels in Wales below haven’t started their season and it doesn’t look like they will for some time.

Merthyr were at a disadvantage to their southern league counterparts, who could all play their games in front of crowds (how long that lasts in England is another thing of course). In fact, yesterday I went to the first football game I’ve been to in over half a year in the isthmian league (same level as Merthyr, but London / south east area). An entertaining 2-1 in front of around a 400ish crowd, almost felt normal.

So basically the Merthyr board saw the way the wind was blowing and took the decision to approach the league and ask for dispensation. Although not exactly the same as the Guernsey example it’s on the same spectrum, as they’re basically caught between two different governments public health approaches and restrictions.