+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Peter Alliss

RIP Peter Alliss

The 'Voice of Golf has died at 89.

I was listening to the Masters a few weeks ago and heard this voice describing the play and suddenly realised it was Alliss, I though he had retired.

His end was 'unexpected but peaceful' apparently

Re: RIP Peter Alliss

I heard he was a bit under par.

Quote Originally Posted by sneggyblubird View Post
    I heard he was a bit under par.
    Poor taste

RIP. One of the best commentators of any sport.

He truly was a great golf commentator. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    Poor taste
    No,no,I heard he wasn't well.A little birdie told me

He held a few opinions that could be said to be typical golf club stuff from a few decades ago, but he had a natural wit, easy manner and light touch which made him a natural broadcaster - although it was slightly before my time, he was a fine player as well.

RIP

[QUOTE=Elwood Blues;5142616]The 'Voice of Golf has died at 89.

A sad day.
    I was lucky enough to meet him a number of time during recent years, he supported a charity that I’m involved with, and we also supported his wonderful charity which provides electric wheelchairs to those that need them but didn’t have one. Most were bespoke and some could cost £40000. I believe his charity had raised something like £11m.

His great quality was that he was interested in everybody that he met, he had time for them and would in a crowded room try to make everybody feel comfortable and particularly those that he sensed needed a but of support.

[QUOTE=BLUEAWAY;5142660]
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    The 'Voice of Golf has died at 89.

A sad day.
    I was lucky enough to meet him a number of time during recent years, he supported a charity that I’m involved with, and we also supported his wonderful charity which provides electric wheelchairs to those that need them but didn’t have one. Most were bespoke and some could cost £40000. I believe his charity had raised something like £11m.

His great quality was that he was interested in everybody that he met, he had time for them and would in a crowded room try to make everybody feel comfortable and particularly those that he sensed needed a but of support.
    Those words about him don't surprise me at all.

Alliss's voice was synonymous with the sport of golf and one that reminds me, as Brian Moore in football, Richie Benaud in cricket and Dan Maskell tennis would, of my childhood watching sport, the Masters and The Open.
    One of the greats of his profession and obviously a top bloke.

RIP

He was a fantastic commentator and seemed such a kind and gentle man. He was entertaining, dry witted, knowledgeable and knew exactly what to say and when to say it. As someone mentioned above, a bit like Dan Maskell and Richie Benaud. I'd add whispering Ted Lowe to the list aswell.

a true legend and great sense of humour RIP

What a voice.

[QUOTE=MacAdder;5142746]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post

Those words about him don't surprise me at all.

Alliss's voice was synonymous with the sport of golf and one that reminds me, as Brian Moore in football, Richie Benaud in cricket and Dan Maskell tennis would, of my childhood watching sport, the Masters and The Open.
    One of the greats of his profession and obviously a top bloke.

RIP
    Motson, Mclaren, Cozier Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    What a voice.
    He had that voice that stuck in your brain.Even not liking golf you knew his tones

One of the best ever commentators for any sport, certainly since I’ve been interested in sport. When watching golf on the BBC, it was disappointing when he wasn’t in the microphone. RIP Peter.

First Team light up the darkness's Avatar

I recall watching the last round of the Masters a year that Phil Mickelson won and he referred to Mickelsons walk up the last fairway as an ‘agricultural gait’
    Every time I saw Mickelson after that comment always came back to me.
    Dry wit and humour.
    Old school sports commentator

Not much coverage of Peter Alliss dying? Some might ask, Alliss? Alliss? Who the fook is Alliss?

John Cleese reckons if the end of the world was commentated on by Peter Alliss in his dulcet tones it wouldn’t seem so bad