+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it time for the club to take a look at itself?

Re: Is it time for the club to take a look at itself?

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post
    So Hughton was a drab manager who played similar to Warnock but they went for Potter. So there are examples.

Our finances are our finances. I would prefer to give the money to a manager with a vision and with the intention of playing an attractive, attacking style. Giving money to Harris, if the club sees him as a stepping stone, for me is wasted money.

Again, you mention Swansea were in League 1. Does it matter where it starts as long as you're not relegated?
    The trouble is that you and ETHB obviously don't like Harris and don't want him as City manager and never have. You are allowing this to influence your opinion of the club, board, team and tactics. It us obvious to me that Harris is trying to change the way the team play for the better but this can not be done straight away and is restricted by the players we have and the finances available. You are also making no allowance for the Covid19 situation we find ourselves in - with a full stadium, the performance and result undoubtedly would have been different.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    No one is asking for a "jump" Surge, but signs of a transition would be good. All we've seen for the last 7 or 8 years is turgid football, there is nothing exciting about watching City play, just the same old grind every week, taking players like Wilson & Ojo and making them look very average. Only Camarasa has bucked the trend in that time & occasionally a cameo from Tomlin.
    Under Warnock we never saw our fullbacks cross halfway and striker was a lonely man. Under Harris, our fullbacks are sometimes in the box and we have support for striker be it Tomlin as a 10, Wilson and Ojo or Harris. We have gone from Patterson as striker to Moore.

Do people disagree there has been some evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by dml1954 View Post
    You do realise that we won the previous four games in a row don't you ? Nobody in their right mind would change a winning team like that if they didn't have to. The players didn't perform today - simple as that.
    The same team just played 5 games in two weeks. If "nobody in their right mind would change a winning team" then what the **** happened today? Why didn't the players perform? This whole thing about a "winning team" is bollocks. Every game is different. It's why we have a squad. We played well last Saturday, we rode our luck but battled on Tuesday, but today we were spent. It was humiliating. The manager didn't set up right. And he didn't react. Moore is knackered, Glatzel should have started. Ralls should have been subbed when he was on a yellow. Wilson didn't show up. We just rolled over today but you stick up for the team, and the manager. You're pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Under Warnock we never saw our fullbacks cross halfway and striker was a lonely man. Under Harris, our fullbacks are sometimes in the box and we have support for striker be it Tomlin as a 10, Wilson and Ojo or Harris. We have gone from Patterson as striker to Moore.

Very very minimal in my opinion, there was always going to be some change with a new manager. I wouldn't say there has been any change in philosophy though. It's all much of a muchness.

Is Lowe really that good? I'd never even heard of him before today. He looked a different class. That outside of the boot goal was sublime. And the view from behind the goal made it look outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Is Lowe really that good? I'd never even heard of him before today. He looked a different class. That outside of the boot goal was sublime. And the view from behind the goal made it look outrageous.
    I thought he was a Winger tbh, he came from Wigan

I am sure he played with Keifer Moore at wigan

He's had an interesting career so far. Look him up. He had to drop into non-league for a few years to get his career on the right track and worked as a teacher during that time. I saw a really good interview with him a few weeks ago. Seems like a really decent lad.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2bdoo View Post
    Very very minimal in my opinion, there was always going to be some change with a new manager. I wouldn't say there has been any change in philosophy though. It's all much of a muchness.
    The only area of the pitch where it's the same, in my opinion, is the midfield but we have players who have higher ceiling acting as wingers.

Goalkeeper - Smithies replaced Etheridge due to better distribution
    Defence - Osie-tutu and now Bacuna (RWB) have replaced Peltier, Morrisson has started passing out from the back and Bennett is more attacking. On the flip-side, we have started to concede from set-pieces.
    Attack - I mentioned how this has changed previously.

No one wants to lose the grit, team-spirit and ability to score from set-pieces Warnock brought in so of course some things still look the same.

Yes, but the recent success saw us revert to type.

Open challenge: name me a club that has successfully jumped to play a more expansive game (when not starting in league one or two) without money to spend or having invested a lot in their academy.

Swansea - their journey started in league one.
    Brighton - they had invested a lot in their academy and had money to spend
    Manchester City - Pep only goes where he has money to spend to bring in his sort of player.

Harris is a stepping stone in the right direction and might get us promotion. This thread is about longer term planning and people want to take a massive jump without any resources, partly because of philosophy of previous manager, to back it up with.
    Leicester, Everton, Sheffield United, Barnsley, Huddersfield, Coventry, QPR and in the lower divisions, this season's Newport County.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Stolen my thunder there Eric because my blog piece is going to be along the same lines - I'm the most annoyed I've been after a game in years and am sick and tired of having a style of football I can't stand shoved down my throat because, apparently, the people in charge at the club believe it's what I want to see. Do other City fans really enjoy the sort of football we've been producing for the last ten years?
    Today feels like it could be a watershed moment, for the fans at least.

Yes, playing the way we do has brought us some success. There’s no denying that.

But goodness me I’m tired of it now. It is mind-numbingly boring. The ball spends as much time off the pitch as it does on it. It can take a minute to take a throw.

I don’t watch football to be frustrated, I’ve got kids for that.

For the love of football, try to string 4 passes together and put a move together. If we lose more games as a result, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    They had what 7 years in the PL.?

Theyve got players there theyve spent big on and on massive wages.

The board want to go up.

We are going to be in deep financial shit in the summer unless we go up and were never going to do that with a complete change of style.
    How difficult is such a thing? We are talking about pro footballers that earn a lot of money. Our defenders can defend yes? Bennett aside maybe? We have a couple of decent strikers? So it’s just down to our midfield not being expansive? Ralls is usually ok, Tomlin when he plays, Wilson obviously decent, hoilett and Ojo? We don’t need a new team do we, just a few footballers who can create time and space with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    How difficult is such a thing? We are talking about pro footballers that earn a lot of money. Our defenders can defend yes? Bennett aside maybe? We have a couple of decent strikers? So it’s just down to our midfield not being expansive? Ralls is usually ok, Tomlin when he plays, Wilson obviously decent, hoilett and Ojo? We don’t need a new team do we, just a few footballers who can create time and space with the ball.
    Or a management who know how to set the team up to play. Swansea's midfield aren't amazing footballers but the way they're set up means they have plenty of options to pass to, that's down to the management knowing how to set the team up to play football

https://twitter.com/Blades_analytic/...87992730087429 (December 7th, expected goals scored and conceded from open play)

The increasingly becoming obviously good crew in the top right. Brentford, Bournemouth, Swansea clearly above the rest on the balance of the 2 metrics. All 3 are dominant in open play

Cardiff's results are now happening and the data supports that turn around of fortunes, really wouldn't take much for them or #htfc to become very good sides in this league, from open play anyway.
    Expect it will look less good 5 days on but shows we're no slouches from open play.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Or a management who know how to set the team up to play. Swansea's midfield aren't amazing footballers but the way they're set up means they have plenty of options to pass to, that's down to the management knowing how to set the team up to play football
    So we should have just played a five man mid like they always do today?

I worry aboutwhat we have done to Harry Wilson. He was fantastic on loan with Derby last season and always impresses when playing for Wales.

It seemed a real coup when we signed him on loan and he was very impressive in his first few games but has been become more and more anonymous in recent matches, even the ones we’ve won

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    I worry aboutwhat we have done to Harry Wilson. He was fantastic on loan with Derby last season and always impresses when playing for Wales.

It seemed a real coup when we signed him on loan and he was very impressive in his first few games but has been become more and more anonymous in recent matches, even the ones we’ve won
    Ask Bournemouth fans what they think about Wilson

I like him and he's a really good player but he drifts in and out of games so much.

Quote Originally Posted by EastbourneBlue View Post
    Today feels like it could be a watershed moment, for the fans at least.

Yes, playing the way we do has brought us some success. There’s no denying that.

But goodness me I’m tired of it now. It is mind-numbingly boring. The ball spends as much time off the pitch as it does on it. It can take a minute to take a throw.

I don’t watch football to be frustrated, I’ve got kids for that.

For the love of football, try to string 4 passes together and put a move together. If we lose more games as a result, so be it.
    POST OF THE DAY

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post

He's not played in the best position, we don't give him the ball that often, he's not a winger and today he spent enough time in defensive midfield helping out because we were overrun. I can only imagine how frustrated he feels here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    He's not played in the best position, we don't give him the ball that often, he's not a winger and today he spent enough time in defensive midfield helping out because we were overrun. I can only imagine how frustrated he feels here.
    When has Wilson played a prolonged spell as anything other than a winger? He played right wing for Derby and the same position for Bournemouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    When has Wilson played a prolonged spell as anything other than a winger? He played right wing for Derby and the same position for Bournemouth?
    Apologies, I was under the impression he was used as a number 10. Shows how much I followed his career before.

His stats aren't that bad compared with the rest of his career. It appears Derby managed to get him onto the ball more than we have, but there's nothing to suggest he's underperforming.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Apologies, I was under the impression he was used as a number 10. Shows how much I followed his career before.

His stats aren't that bad compared with the rest of his career. It appears Derby managed to get him onto the ball more than we have, but there's nothing to suggest he's underperforming.
    His Derby side had Mason Mount in it as well. Safe to say they had a midfield that could find him regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    His Derby side had Mason Mount in it as well. Safe to say they had a midfield that could find him regularly.
    In fairness, our midfield found lots of white shirts this afternoon...

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    No one is asking for a "jump" Surge, but signs of a transition would be good. All we've seen for the last 7 or 8 years is turgid football, there is nothing exciting about watching City play, just the same old grind every week, taking players like Wilson & Ojo and making them look very average. Only Camarasa has bucked the trend in that time & occasionally a cameo from Tomlin.
    In fairness to Harris he has brought in substantially better footballers IMO. Moore Wilson Ojo Osei-Tutu and potentially Benkovich, are a significant upgrade in terms of skill. And any one of them would fit in very well at Swansea. At the start of the season, there is no doubt we were trying to play a more passing game. But it wasn't working. Is that beacuse we don't have the players or we don't have the coaching staff? I think Harris should have rested a few against Stoke. that was a mistake. And a stronger, more confident manager would have done that. Chickens came home to roost today. The players were knackered and Harris was found wanting.