Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
Maybe it’s our respective definitions of Championship defenders... I suppose my perspective is that none of them are anything more than average. I’d suggest that you could probably take a centre half from any team in the Championship and drop them into any of the other 23 teams and they’d probably do just fine. Let’s say there are 92 regular starting centre halves ... it’s very rare you get a stand out player in that position in this league... if they existed there’d be a queue of interested top half premier league teams for them...

I don’t recall anyone ever being interested in any of our defenders being in those conversations. In fact we’ve only really had a few that have ever been able to bridge the gap between average (because that’s what I think a Championship level player generally is) and having a Premier League career... Outside of Gabbidon, Collins and maybe Johnson (who went downhill quickly) I’m struggling with any more who made their name with us in that position
I think you’ve done a good job of showing that certain players aren’t Premier League standard there, but I struggle to se how you can lump almost every centre back in the Championship together as being much of a muchness. A week on Friday, Sean Morrison will be thirty and so that might well be enough to put some clubs off him, but if we had been looking to sell him at any time in the four or five years since we signed him, I think there may have been one or two PremierLeague teams interested in him, but I’m pretty sure there would have been a fair few from the Championship because I think he’s seen as a good defender in this division within the game.