This will completely devalue the league regardless of whether the clubs stayed in the PL or not. I don't for one minute think the PL would boot them out but it will still completely devalue it. 18 games per season minimum (23 or 25 if win it) and the PL will become of secondary importance.

If the league is wrapped up by Christmas again as it was with Man City this year then you have 16 games to finish the season of zero importance as there's no battle for top four as everyone is guaranteed their space for the following season. I think the CL is decent at the knockout stage but the group games bore me, don't ever watch one unless a result is needed in the final game. This is just a much more long winded version of that and tbh I can't really see the appeal. These teams will no doubt get better but atm half the teams involved are of a Europa League standard. I can't see who is going to want to watch half these games at the best of times, never mind when teams are out the running to qualify after 8 games and have another 10 games to go until the knockout. The format looks awful, all to do with maximising the games between the "big" clubs no doubt but half the appeal in these competitions is the lack of familiarity amongst half the teams.

Interested to see where it goes from here but the whole idea sounds shite as something to watch imo, before you take into account the rest of the issues.