Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
I've got an EV but have a driveway to charge it on. It's a bit unfair really as those who can park on driveways get a govt grant to install a home charger as well. But it is not impossible and I do have colleagues with EVs who do not have access to home charging who get on fine.

Depends what you want it for really: if its your main/only car that does 10k+ miles a year and lots of long journeys then I suspect the lack of a home charger makes it very inconvenient because you'd only be able to charge it at stations/shops and that would take a few hours so you'd have time to kill. Not really a problem at home when you can fully charge any car overnight, but if you have to take the car out to charge it for a few hours ahead of a long journey it will be a bit of a faff in a way that a quick trip to the petrol station won't be. So for those without a private parking space, it is going to be a lot more difficult and I personally wouldn't go for it as we only have the one car so do need to do overnight charging quite a bit.

But if you want a second car to nip around town in, then I suspect that even without easy access to home charging it would be manageable (and this is the case for some of my colleagues). Chargers are in more places than you might thing and certainly more than are advertised on the various apps. I don't go to many places where I park the car that doesn't have chargers, and most of them are free. If you've got a little EV like a Corsa E with a 50kwh battery you would fairly easily keep that topped up as you potter about town. And you can always charge from a 3 pin plug anywhere of course, even at home, in an emergency.
How do you think they are going to solve the home charging ("terraced house") problem once everyone has an electric car?