Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
I don't think that's true at all. For instance, last season it was clear that the three relegated sides were, on paper at least, well above average by this division's standards, and Brentford looked strong too. This year, not so much. I buy the Post's pre-season guide every year and have done so for more than a decade. Never before have I seen anything like that quote from the paper's pundits.

If you exclude the three teams who were promoted last season, the division was generally garbage. The fact that Barnsley and Swansea were able to secure play-off spots with their blatant limitations was telling. Usually, there is a reasonable amount of genuine quality and talent spread throughout the division. Last season there wasn't much. This season there appears to be even less. But maybe you have other ideas?
I agree it looks weaker this season compared to last.
Last season I don't think was particularly weak compared to the average though. The three relegated teams all remained in pretty good shape which is unusual (or used to be at least) and Brentford were clearly a very good team.