Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
Had this conversation earlier. We are a different breed in the Valleys I think. Give our kids all we got. Money we spend on Xmas, birthdays.etc is crazy compared to more well off areas.

My Nan used to give me £5 a day in the six weeks holidays when i was say 11/12/13 so I could go to the community centre and get myself grub. Probably equivalent to £15 these days.

Fast forward 30 years and my old man gives my kids £20 a week pocket money each. It’s just what grandparents do up here if they can. They rather see they Kids/grandkids looked after.

My eldest daughter, 16, got a part time job in a pub getting £70-100 a week, but yet I still give her £100 a month pocket money. She’s also getting £80-£100 a month off my old man. I wouldn’t dream of stopping her money or taking lodge off her when she’s 16.
Yeah it's crazy looking back at how my parents managed to get through Xmas. 100s spent to give us the best day of our lives after telling us all year what a struggle it is.
Grandparents with I believe 16 grandkids and then some more great grandkids before passing, all got birthday and Xmas money/presents.

My daughter isn't old enough to work yet, but my niece, who was like a second daughter to me when she was younger, now works in a pub and also picks up cleaning jobs and the like, I still give her money when I see her. Picked her up from work not long back, save her getting a late bus, she had more money in her pocket than I did but I still paid for the takeaway on the way back. I can see she is doing good with her money so I won't take it off her while she learns, I might be different if she was more irresponsible.

True about the valleys though, and those friends that didn't have the same alway had it indirectly because in the groups of friends we'd never see anyone go without, I remember my mother sneaking my one mate a tenner to go to the fair because she knew his grandmother didn't have that to give him and his brother, the older one always got what he wanted and my mate never made a fuss, she didn't want him to feel left out so called him in the house "to ask about his nan..."