Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
I disagree with you.

Lots of people volunteer for a sense of community, to help those less fortunate and because its the right thing to do.

I volunteer in a church run food bank. I'm not religious but the people there are, its the closest one to me. I don't do a lot, just a few deliveries and I don't feel good for doing it, its a personality trait for me. I like volunteering.

The others are doing it for people less fortunate and the state doesn't support them, not because they want a fast track upstairs or to absolve guilt.
So they are not doing it for nothing , it's to get a sense of community ......so they are doing it for something then

The others are doing it to feel better , because they think it's the right thing to do

Others volunteer to keep themselves busy , nothing wrong with that but it's not doing something for nothing

If there are religious people involved in something like a food bank some of them may do it because they are good people but others will do it because they think doing good things is what being a Christian is all about

Which is clearly not true as loads of people do good things who have no interest in God